Lobos in first place at MWC

Kase, Webb lead UNM at conference championship

Staff Report

After two rounds of the Mountain West Conference Women’s Golf Championships in Sunriver, Ore., UNM is in first place, carding a team total 578 (+10).

The Lobos are now 14 strokes ahead of second place Colorado State University, which has tallied a total score of 592 (+24). San Diego State University (596), Brigham Young University (603) and the University of Wyoming (629) round out the rest of the field.

UNM’s Elisa Kase leads all individuals with a two-day total of 139 (-3) and the Lobos’ Ryley Webb is tied for second along with Colorado State’s Mayumi Motoyama at 140

(-2). Claudia Ferrini jumped three places to fifth place (147) after finishing eighth at the end of round one.

The Lobos combined for a 293 in round one Monday, as all five UNM players finished in ninth place or higher individually. Kase, Webb and Motoyama tied for first after round one with each shooting 71, and the three continued their torrid pace Tuesday. Kase carded a 68 — a tournament low and women’s championship record — while Webb and Motoyama both shot 69 to keep pace with Kase.

UNM’s Kristi Larsen (77-77) and Kellyn Newman (75-79) are tied for 15th place with scores of 154.

The third and final round will be played this morning beginning at 9 a.m.

UNM is the defending Mountain West Conference Tournament champion. Last year the Lobos posted a tournament total 916 (311-308-297) to win the title. Kase finished in third place.