Lobos repeat championship

Webb leads UNM golf team at conference tournament

Staff Report

The UNM women’s golf team took its second straight Mountain West Conference title in record-breaking fashion.

The Lobos shot a third-round score of 283 to set a new Mountain West tournament low for a single round. UNM’s title-winning score of nine-over par 861 also set a Mountain West record.

UNM took a seven-stroke lead over San Diego State University after round one Monday in Sunriver, Ore., and never looked back, winning by a 26-shot cushion. Colorado State University and San Diego State tied for second place with three-day totals of 887 and Brigham Young University (900) and Wyoming (936) rounded out the rest of the field.

The individual title went to UNM’s Ryley Webb, who carded a third round score of 69 (-2) to beat teammate Elisa Kase by one stroke.

It was her first-ever tournament title as a Lobo.

Kase, who shot a tournament single-round record of 68 Tuesday, finished at 210, while Webb was one shot better at 209. Kase had led all individuals after two rounds but her final-round 71 allowed Webb to jump ahead.

UNM’s Claudia Ferrini finished in fourth place (217), Kristi Larsen finished in 13th-place (227) and Kellyn Newman tied for 14th-place (228).

The conference title was UNM’s 11th since the women’s golf program began conference competition in 1978.

Following the tournament, UNM head coach Jackie Booth was named Mountain West Coach of the Year, Kristi Larsen was named Freshman of the Year, and Larsen, Webb and Kase were named to the all-conference team.