M.E.Ch.A hosts election forum

As Spring 2001 ASUNM elections draw near, it is time for all UNM students to realize the importance of their participation and of every vote. UNM M.E.Ch.A. realized this during last semester's election. M.E.Ch.A. will continue to dedicate itself to creating change both on campus and in the community by informing students and supporting those who will truly represent all students.

M.E.Ch.A.'s history is one that begins in Santa Barbara, Calif., in 1964. Concerned Raza and community members gathered to draw attention to the specific needs and concerns of Chicanas and Chicanos, both in the educational system and in the community. One of the main objectives of M.E.Ch.A. is to increase the number of Chicana and Chicano students in higher education and to ensure that all necessary assistance is offered.

Last semester UNM M.E.Ch.A. joined with other campus organizations in a non-partisan effort to bring more attention to campus elections. The "Get Out and Vote" campaign helped to increase Fall Elections turnout by nearly 300% and change the face of the ASUNM Senate.

This semester, UNM M.E.Ch.A. will suppport the publicity of ASUNM elections by holding a forum today at noon. The event will take place in Smith Plaza in front of Zimmerman Library. We feel confident that the people of the University will attend and become better informed about candidates before going to the polls next Wednesday.

It is up to each and every student on this campus to make their voice heard, loud and clear, by voting in the Spring 2001 elections.

Eileen Garc°a

Louie Garc°a and

Avelina Mart°nez

M.E.Ch.A. co-chairpeople