Newspaper funding bill is not a free speech issue

A number of letters have been printed in the Daily Lobo’s Opinion section during the past few days regarding ASUNM Senate Bill 5B. Some of them have had very valid points and/or questions that need to be answered, but the majority have been off the real issue and have been used only to slight the image of the ASUNM Senate.

I would be the first to admit that the Senate is not perfect, and my past letters to the editor have shown that I do not always agree with the Senate’s initiatives (or lack thereof). I also would be the first to offer criticism. I feel, however, that the Senate has done right by the students of UNM on this issue.

During this semester as ASUNM senator, I have been a member of the Finance Committee. I have seen a number of budgets cut for fiscal reasons and have seen a number of groups lose money on appropriations due to the lack of funds available. Granted, we have spent an astronomical amount of money to fund these groups, but still fell short in our attempt to give groups all that they need.

I cannot say, however, that anything that the Finance Committee has done during this semester has been unethical, malicious or morally questionable. One of the most fair-minded people I have had the good fortune to work with is the author of this bill: Finance Chairman Grant Nichols.

The only travesty that has existed within the committee has been the obvious lack of funds that we have to distribute to student groups. Very deserving groups who rely on their funding for providing crucial services (i.e. Agora, SEPAS, etc.) have had their funding cut and will have to look for other funding sources or limit the amount of services that they can provide. Now, seeing this grave injustice in contrast to the Daily Lobo’s prosperity only serves to make the situation more unjust.

That the Daily Lobo does not have to provide any accountability for this $38,000 that they receive each year is ridiculous. Every department (i.e. Athletics, Student Activities, El Centro de la Raza, Women’s Resource Center, etc.) and every student group must present their budget before a deciding panel who will distribute the money as they see fit. Granted, things change from year-to-year based on those who are seated on the panel, but it remains that all of these groups are held accountable for every dollar they spend. Accountability is the real issue here, not free speech.

Many other senators and I will continue to support this bill and Sen. Nichols’ initiatives to provide more financial support for student groups.

Also remember that it is up to each and every student to decide on this, and I would encourage all students to support ASUNM Senate Bill 5B.

Tim Serna

ASUNM Senator