Reynalds’ ravings muffle <i>Lobo’s</i> independent voice

It’s difficult to make a case for the Daily Lobo as the “Independent Voice of UNM” when the paper continues to print the fundamentalist editorial flotsam of Jeremy Reynalds.

While the Lobo receives financial support from student fees and seems to be subject to Constitutional separation of church and state, the paper has repeatedly published the sick and morally suspect ravings of Reynalds.

Indeed no other Lobo columnist has received such favor, nor has any other view been as persistently present in the Lobo’s pages as has Reynalds’. Editorial administrations and columnists come and go, yet Reynalds continues to publish his diatribes advocating his particular religious viewpoints until he has virtually become the “Voice of the Daily Lobo.”

One could, of course, defend Reynalds on the basis that he stirs up controversy. A mad swine roils the trough as well, but to call such thrashings “controversy” is about as insightful as most of the dreck that appears on television pseudo-news and game shows.

The University is supposedly the educational arena for the free exchange of ideas. The Lobo has cheapened and degraded the tenor of the debate on campus by becoming allied with the mentally challenged drivel of a religious bigot.

Freedom of the press protects stupid speech as well as smart speech, but the Lobo has shown such lack of editorial integrity in establishing Reynalds as the benchmark for discussion on this campus, that many who teach and study here micturate upon your pages from a considerable height. What kind of “independent voice” is this for a state university?

James Burbank

Graduate student

Editor’s note: A “mad swine’s” opinion, as well as everybody else’s, are reserved for the Opinion section. He can rant because it is an open forum. To censor Reynalds would be as bad as censoring anyone who may disagree with him and would go against the basic principles of freedom of speech that the Daily Lobo holds dear.