Sports in Brief

Baseball

The UNM baseball team was swept in a three-game series against Brigham Young University over the weekend. The losses dropped the Lobos to 18-26 overall, and 8-10 in the Mountain West Conference.

UNM lost the first game of Saturday’s doubleheader 11-5. UNM led 5-3 in the top of the fifth inning, but allowed four runs in the fifth and sixth innings combined to the Cougars. Senior third baseman Aaron Stanley went two-for-three with two RBIs in game one.

In game two, UNM lost 3-2 when the Cougars scored an unearned run in the bottom of the ninth.

The Lobos led 2-0 early in the game on a sacrifice fly by sophomore first baseman Chris Alexander and an RBI single by sophomore catcher Scott Tajima.

Friday, an eighth inning, three-run home run by Cougars’ outfielder Shane Belliston gave them a 7-5 lead and destroyed the Lobos chances of a victory.

The Lobos were leading 5-1 in the fifth inning, but BYU scored six runs in the final four innings to get the win. Junior designated hitter Anthony Lovato went three-for-four with four RBIs, including a pair of two-run home runs.

Women’s Tennis

The 39th-ranked UNM women’s tennis team had a disastrous weekend, losing to San Diego State University 6-1 Friday and to the University of Nevada at Las Vegas 6-1 Sunday. The losses dropped the Lobos’ record to 13-8, 4-3 in the Mountain West Conference.

Against SDSU, UNM could only muster a win by the number six player, freshman Maria Ruiz-Fabrega. She won the first set 6-3 and lost the second set 6-4. With the score tied at three in the third set, the Aztecs’ Julie Chidley had to retire, giving Ruiz-Fabrega the win.

The lone win for the Lobos against UNLV was by freshman Tjasa Suvak, who won in straight sets. She defeated the Rebels’ Urska Radanovic 6-0, 6-3.

Golf

The UNM men’s golf team finished eighth at the Arizona State Thunderbird/Karsten Invitational held this weekend.

The Lobos shot a team total 858 for a six-under par score. It was the second straight event that the Lobos shot under par.

UNM finished 19 strokes behind team champion Arizona State University, which shot 839 (-25).

UNM was led by senior Joel Hendry, who shot a 210 for six-under par to finish 11th. Wil Collins, Scott Hailes and Michael Letzig all shot even-par 216 and tied for 41st. Jim Anderson finished tied for 100th at 12-over par with a 228.