Sports in brief

The UNM softball team lost two games to Colorado State University Saturday to drop it to fourth place in the Mountain West Conference.

The Rams beat the Lobos 3-0 and 4-2 in a doubleheader Saturday to improve to 9-32 overall and 6-9 in the Mountain West. The Lobos fall to 34-21-1 and 7-8-1 in conference play, one game ahead of the fifth-place Rams.

In game one, the two teams were scoreless entering the bottom of the fifth inning.

Colorado State scored one run, then added two more in the sixth to provide its final margin of victory. The Lobos could not score in the seventh despite having two runners on base.

Pitcher Hayley Punter threw five innings and allowed two earned runs on three hits.

The second game was close as well. UNM broke a 1-all tie with a run in the top of the fifth inning, but the Rams responded with three runs in the bottom of the inning and held the Lobos scoreless the rest of the way to earn the win. Punter pitched a complete game allowing seven hits and three earned runs while striking out three. Senior Kathy Moore hit her eighth home run of the year in game two.

The Lobos have four games left, two at San Diego State University and two at the University of Nevada at Las Vegas, before competing in the Mountain West Conference championships at Lobo Field May 10-12.

l l l

The UNM track and field team competed in the 107th Penn Relays this weekend and junior Monique Harris had the highest finish for the Lobos with her fifth-place mark in the women’s triple jump.

On Friday, her mark of 41 1/2 was 6 1/2 inches out of third place in the field of 24 and was her third-best triple jump mark this season.

Also on Friday, the men’s 4x400-meter relay team finished 7th with a time of 3-minutes, 19.29 seconds while juniors Justin Massey and Matt Bishop finished 31st and 40th, respectively, in the 400-meter hurdles.

Thursday, junior Jackie Morgan of the women’s team finished in 13th-place in the college women’s 10,000-meter championship with a time of 36:27.69.

It was her first competition in the 10,000 since 1999’s Western Athletic Conference Outdoor Championships.

In other action, junior Keren Sari finished 11th in the college women’s long jump by leaping 18 feet, five inches and senior Lisa Coleman finished in 27th-place in the 400 hurdles.

Photo Issue