Stand up for your religious beliefs, do not be silenced

It is truly a sad indication of the times and an example of people's ignorance when someone who holds a biblical-based Christian worldview is labeled a "bigot" whose opinions are considered "mentally challenged drivel." This is, however, the opinion of many people, including James Burbank.

He apparently feels threatened that Jeremy Reynalds has such strong convictions about his faith and submits them to the Daily Lobo. This insecurity usually prompts people such as Burbank to loosely throw around phrases such as "separation between church and state" out of context in an attempt to silence the opinions of Christians.

Simply put, "separation between church and state" only ensures the country against a nationally instituted religion such as the Church of England. Yet, many people use this phrase inaccurately as an immediate defense any time believers tries to impart their opinions on issues, and, unfortunately, it usually works.

Burbank is worried that Reynalds' thoughts have become the "Voice of the Daily Lobo." He need not worry because the newspaper clearly states that "opinions expressed on this (Opinion page) are those of the author . and do not reflect the opinions of the Daily Lobo."

My true objective is not to defend Reynalds from Burbank's accusations as much as defending the right for people who hold their religious convictions with utmost respect to not allow people to dismiss their opinions and scare them from having their voices heard. Christians, do not be afraid, but stand up for your faith in Christ and join Reynalds in proclaiming the "sick and morally suspect ravings" of our faith.

Kyle Solis

Chemical engineering student