White, Smith get fond farewell

All but two players earn awards for basketball season

The UNM men’s basketball program closed out its season on a special note Wednesday night with the 2001 Lobo Club Men’s Basketball Banquet at the Hyatt Regency hotel.

Eleven of the 13 players received awards and were greeted by guest speaker, ex-NBA player Marques Johnson.

Johnson gave an inspirational speech, but the night belonged to seniors Wayland White and Brian Smith, who received numerous awards and standing ovations. Both were given their UNM jerseys framed.

White looked surprised when he stood up and slowly walked his 6-foot-6-inch frame up to the podium to receive the Bob King Most Valuable Player award, and he was greeted with a standing ovation by the banquet attendees.

King, the legendary former coach of the Lobos, greeted White at the podium with a plaque.

“It was a very great honor to get the MVP award from Bob King,” White said after the banquet. “I did not think I was going to get it, but I did. It made me realize how much I am going to miss Lobo basketball and all the fan support.”

White also was awarded the Mr. Rebound commendation and received a Mountain West Conference award for leading the conference in steals (1.96) and blocks (2.29).

“The response of the audience was definitely refreshing,” White said. “I got emotional during my speech seeing everybody. I would like to thank all my teammates, the fans and my family for supporting me.”

Smith received the Mr. Free Throw and the Mr. Inspirational awards after playing the whole season with an ailing right knee. Throughout the year, head coach Fran Fraschilla has referred to Smith as the heart and soul of the team and he reiterated that Wednesday.

Smith said he appreciated everybody knowing how hard he worked for the team.

“I am not a guy that goes out and cares about numbers,” Smith said. “All I cared about was winning and having a good time with my teammates. Everybody has been great to me.”

On Wednesday, both players and coaches joked throughout the banquet about Smith’s practice time, or lack thereof, because of the bad knee.

Among the other award winners were freshman forward Alvin Broussard, who earned the Mr. Hustle award; freshman forward Patrick Dennehy, who got the Most Improved award; and junior forward Pat Kelly, who won the Scholar-Athlete award. Three Lobos shared the Mr. Teammate award — freshmen Ryan Ashcraft, Michael Jordan and Matt King.

To begin the festivities, Johnson, who was a three-time All-American at the University of California at Los Angeles, spoke about taking advantage of every opportunity and planning for a future after basketball.

“The main point I want you all to know is that now is the time to take advantage of your situation and maximize your potential,” Johnson said. “Get an education so you can prepare yourself for after the Lobo experience.”

Johnson was a five-time NBA all-star and is currently a sports broadcaster for FOX Sports Net. He also said that people have to battle through the adversities that life hands out.

Johnson said he was glad to speak at the banquet because he knows Fraschilla as well as sophomore guards Marlon Palmer and Ruben Douglas from their days playing high school basketball in California.

“I have always been a big fan of UNM since the days of Michael Cooper,” Johnson said. “I have done some games and was in The Pit for the first time this year, and was very impressed. Plus, I know most of the coaches and players.”

Many people were impressed by the large turnout and how well the banquet was put together, including freshman forward Zeke Johnson.

“This is a great banquet, I have never experienced this before,” he said. “I have never seen this many people at a banquet before. This is really good.”

Other attendees also seemed to like the atmosphere and the food.

“This is a good mixture of players and fans,” UNM alumnus Ralph Armstrong said. “It honors the players, but it gives the fans the chance to enjoy it with the players. It gives the fans that love basketball so much the opportunity to interact with the players.”

Fraschilla ended the banquet by commenting on his stay at UNM so far and the possibilities of the program for years to come.

“I am proud of these guys and their work ethic,” Fraschilla said. “I just want all these guys to know how much they mean to this program. So we’re building it, but these two players (White and Smith) have been an instrumental part in helping.”