Listen to Clip of "Green Light"

‘Desert’ inspired by nature

Peaceful guitar is hidden behind Eaton’s edgy rock that has shades of Ethridge

As a resident of the Arizona desert, Inda Eaton has no problem drawing lyrical inspiration from the space and land that surrounds her.

In her music, Eaton makes numerous references to the land, the cities and the life in the desert. She is a California native but left the crowded area and transplanted to the more spacious Arizona. On her fifth album, Why the Desert, the Melissa Etheridge influence blows through her earthy lyrics. Her music is a rough fusion of nature and song.

Eaton’s acoustic guitar presence is like peaceful, rainy pitter-patter hidden behind her dry, edgy rock sound and husky voice. Melodies roll, sometimes endlessly, in “Green Light” and “Ready.” The words travel on over a flat desert, then an occasional melodic surprise cactuses up and catches the listener by surprise with a thorny hook of unique collaboration and harmony. “Smell of the Rain” embodies a catchy chorus and “Cool is My Head” combines unique lyrics with an offbeat melody.

Eaton’s lyrics continually refer to the elements of nature that define the scenery around Phoenix. “Heat of the sun, tears in the sand/Smell of the rain take the pain away/ Chimes in the wind from/the sadness of longing/Smell of the rain take the pain away.” Her lyrical inspiration is local, but her musical influences come from far away places.

Eaton’s melodic interest sways from being a Kiss fan to a great appreciation of Elton John, who she says is an influence on her current style of music, according to a Skin to the Wind Records press release. Skin to the Wind Records is a small, independent Arizona-based label. Eaton is currently its featured artist.