Notorious columnists’ convictions applauded

I disagree with Doug Flynn and some of the other folks who want Jeremy Reynalds out of the Daily Lobo. I am probably one of Jeremy’s biggest critics and I disagree with almost everything he writes. Having said that, I also enjoy reading his columns, even if they are, at times, overbearing.

It is important that people we disagree with have their opinions published so we know where they stand. Jeremy is wrong about almost everything, but at least he has the courage of his convictions. The same can be said for Don Schrader, who has been censored by the Daily Lobo.

Don told me that the Lobo hasn’t been publishing his letters, and I think that is wrong, and I hope the new editor reverses that trend.

Don, like Jeremy, often says things we disagree with, but he, like Jeremy, also has the courage of his convictions. But I would say to my good friend Don Schrader, he should lighten up on the profanity. Some people are more offended by the profanity than they are by the subject. You can make your point without offending the readers.

Let Jeremy keep his column. Let him rant and rave about all sorts of mindless minutiae. He is very entertaining to read and very easy to respond to, as is Don.

-Richard Fagerlund,

Environmental Services, PPD

Editor’s Note: Former Daily Lobo editor James Barron opted not to run one letter from Don Schrader during his term. Barron said he felt the content of the letter was too graphic for publication and added little to the opinion page as an open forum. The newspaper also reserves the right to edit letters to the editor for clarity and to meet space constraints.