UNM to face tough Texas teams

Staff Report

The UNM track and field team competes in its final regular-season meet May 5 at the University of Texas at Arlington Open in Arlington, Texas.

It is the team's fourth visit to Texas this season and will be its last meet before the Mountain West Conference Outdoor Championships in San Diego, Calif., May 16-19.

The Lobos' most recent action took place at the 107th Penn Relays in Philadelphia, Pa, April 26-28, the first time that the UNM team had participated in the prestigious event since the 1993 season.

Junior Monique Harris finished fifth in the women's triple jump with a mark of 41 feet, 1.5 inches and Jackie Morgan finished 13th in the 10,000-meter run in her first competition at that distance since she won the event at the 1999 Western Athletic Conference.

Harris has jumped at least 40 feet in each of her last three meets and she is the only athlete in the Mountain West who has cleared that mark this season. She also is UNM's only current NCAA qualifier.

Keren Seri finished in 11th place in the women's long jump with a leap of 18-6 and senior Lisa Coleman placed 27th in the college women's 400-meter hurdles.

The UNM men's 4x400-meter relay team finished seventh overall with a heat time of 3:19.29 and juniors Justin Massey and Matt Bishop finished 31st and 40th, respectively, in the 400-meter hurdles out of a field of 58.

At the UT-Arlington Open, the Lobos will be up against the top-ranked Texas Christian University men's team and Baylor University and Southern Methodist University teams, which are tied for 14th in the nation.

The SMU women's team is ranked 11th in the nation.