Campus News In Brief

A delegation of 30 visitors from Thailand, including representatives of Naresuan University, the Thailand Office of Medical Education, Ministry of Public Health and various affiliate hospitals recently toured the UNM School of Medicine. The medical school was one of four U.S. medical schools, along with Harvard, John Hopkins and Stanford, selected for the tour because of its reputation for progressive, high-quality education, clinical care, biomedical research programs and community outreach.

l l l

UNM received a Telly Award for a Spanish recruitment video produced by Horizon West Productions. UNM is one of three educational institutions in the country to win an award entered under the Non-Broadcast Film/Video and TV Programs in the recruitment category.

“UNM is proud of the quality of the video and we are excited about receiving the award,” said Eliseo Torres, vice president for Student Affairs, in a news release. He added that the video is an excellent tool to help recruit students to UNM.

The 12 minute video titled “Transforma tu Vida en la Universidad de Nuevo MÇxico,” which translates to “Transform Your Life at the University of New Mexico,” is UNM’s first Spanish recruitment video.

Owners of Horizon West Productions said in a news release that entries compete against a high standard of excellence. The contest was judged by more than 20 production professionals from all regions of the United States. Judges represent a cross section of producers from agencies, TV stations, production houses and corporate video departments.

The Telly Awards was founded in 1980 to showcase and give recognition to outstanding non-network cable TV commercials and was expanded to include film and video productions as well as non-network TV programming.

l l l

The UNM Board of Regents’ Finance and Facilities Committee will meet Aug. 2, at 5 p.m. in the Roberts Room, room 230, Scholes Hall.

The regents’ Academic and Student Affairs Committee will meet Aug. 7, at 4:30 p.m. in the Roberts Room.

The full board is scheduled to meet Aug. 14, at 1 p.m. in the Roberts Room.

Copies of all agendas will be available for public review in the Public Affairs Department, which is on the second floor of Hodgin Hall, no later than 24 hours prior to the meeting.

Individuals with disabilities in need of a reader, amplifier, qualified sign language interpreter or any other form of auxiliary aid or service to attend or participate in a Board of Regents meeting should contact the Public Affairs Department. The department also provides public documents, including the agenda and minutes, in various accessible formats.

l l l

Teachers from across the state are completing an intensive course in technology through the Intel Teach to the Future Program directed by the UNM College of Education Technology Education Center.

A total of 120 “master teachers” from across the state will receive the training this summer during six weeklong courses. The program began in late May in Hobbs and also was offered in Clovis, Las Cruces and Santa Fe. Teachers from Albuquerque, Belen, Bernalillo and Los Lunas were in training at UNM through Friday.

College of education Technology Education Center director Bill Bramble said in a news release the summer courses are a “train the trainer project.” The master teachers are each charged with training an additional 40 teachers during the next two years. About 5,800 New Mexico teachers will eventually benefit from the course, the largest project of this nature to date in the state.

“Every master teacher who completes the course will receive a high end laptop computer, software and a $5,000 grant to improve computer technology in the classroom,” said Smith Frederick in a news release. Frederick is the project coordinator for UNM.

In December, UNM received a $109,000 Intel grant to launch the Intel Teach to the Future Program, specifically designed to help teachers better use technology in the classroom. The grant also established Intel’s New Mexico Regional Training Agency in the College of Education Technology Education Center. The second floor of the center has a laboratory devoted to the Intel Teach to the Future Program.

Bramble said the UNM directed project also receives support from Microsoft. About $2 million in technology, education and related support will be awarded by way of the Intel and its partnership with the state of New Mexico during a two-year period.