Parking services better than

I am surprised that some UNM employees believe that parking is a service that should be free, according to a letter to the editor published in the July 19-25 Daily Lobo. I have investigated other university policies and found that free parking is not the norm.

Most areas have higher parking fees. I would like to know why employees feel that UNM should bear the cost of providing and maintaining parking. This is not a rhetorical question, I really am interested. What are some of the suggestions that employees have concerning other sources of revenue to support parking services?

I think that the range of salary from $18,000 to almost $50,000 is a rather large spread for the same parking permit fee. UNM could break the salary range down into smaller units and give those in the lower ranges a break.

In regard to not being able to find parking, perhaps UNM does need to improve the methods they use to find and ticket those parking without proper permits.

Other options do exist. Bus service is not wonderful in Albuquerque, but we do have buses. People can carpool and work out a method to share costs. Walking and biking also are options for some.

So far, we have been lucky in both the cost of parking and availability on UNM campus compared to some other areas of the country where I have lived.

Our raise was an across the board raise, which I see as a cost of living raise. Aren’t parking and health insurance costs of living? Have you investigated the cost of health insurance without benefit of a group policy?

The “UNM machine” makes it possible for me to have health care that would otherwise be too costly. UNM is an employer. Employers that plan to remain financially solvent must expect some financial participation from employees when it comes to providing benefits such as health insurance and amenities such as parking.

-Patricia Berry

UNM employee