To be safe: teach men not to rape

I am writing in response to the most recent addition to the long, and growing, list of reported rapes perpetrated on our campus. UNM administration and campus police should be ashamed of the way they’ve handled these felonies in the past and certainly for the way they are handling this one.

I am writing this letter as a human being — an individual responsible, whether I asked to be or not — for helping to protect the rights of other human beings. This is a responsibility that should be shared by UNM administration as well, but as we read from Dean of Students Randy Boeglin’s response to the rape, it is not. Boeglin and the campus police department again failed miserably to deal with this crime in the manner it warrants and that the students deserve.

It is the most cunning of insults to suggest that women learn to protect themselves against rape while not considering how men can prevent committing the act of rape. In case Lt. Omtvedt hasn’t noticed in his years as a professed crime fighter and upholder of justice, women do not rape themselves.

No advice for those members of our campus population, who, unfortunately, are not victims of a botched circumcision, is tantamount to no blame. Instead, victims are not only blamed for an act they did not commit, but also could not prevent.

The Daily Lobo article even details the newest victim’s irrelevant consensual sexual activities she participated in earlier that night, thereby minimizing the impact that she was raped, pure and simple. No matter how many people she has slept with in her past, or even that night, the fact that a heinous felony was committed should not be negated.

I submit that no amount of precaution on her part could have prevented what happened to her. Only “Allen,” the alleged rapist, who, by the way, did not appeal his temporary suspension, could have prevented this rape. It looks like Lt. Omtvedt needs to suggest some tips on how “Allen” can learn to put his power and control issues in check.

Women have heard enough. UNM must implement programs targeted toward male sexuality, suggest ways men can stop rape, and make it safe for victims to report rape without backlash or shame.

If the administration really wants to help women protect themselves against rape, it should follow up with a swift punishment that fits the crime, which includes not signing rapists to athletic contracts. They must act in a sincere effort to prevent sexual offenses against women from being viewed as a minor violation with no consequence.

Warn us when an alleged rapist is on our campus, then print his picture in the paper and post it all over campus so we will know from whom we need to protect ourselves. We shouldn’t have to live in continual fear. Kill the lip service and do something to make our campus safe!

Women should know that they can turn to the Albuquerque Rape Crisis Center at 266-7711 and our Women’s Resource Center at 277-3716 for help.

-Stefanie L. Taylor

Women studies student