Lobos head to El Paso track

Henry confident that summer preparation, recruitment will pay off for UNM this season

The UNM cross country team has increased participation and preparation for the upcoming season, thanks to a program that had a fantastic year last season.

Under second year head coach Matt Henry, the team has gone from 17 members to 36 in just two years. The added numbers will help UNM in inter-squad competition this year.

This evening 22 men and 14 women will represent UNM at the Lori Fitzgerald Invitational, hosted by the University of Texas at El Paso. The meet will lead off with the women's 4,600-meters and will be followed by the men's 6,800-meters.

"It's a good first meet," Henry said. "There will be a lot of good competition there."

Last year, the men's team placed second in the Fitzgerald Invitational and the women's team placed fourth.

With a year of experience for his young team, Henry said he expects the Lobos to have a good meet and a good season

"Being a year older is a big plus for us," he said.

This season's preparation included a summer of what Henry calls base work. The runners conditioned on their own because NCAA rules prohibit them from meeting for an organized practice over the summer.

"Most kids put in a great summer and ran 75-100 miles per week," Henry said.

Henry is hopeful to outdo last year's performance. Both the men's and women's sides have many talented newcomers and returning runners.

The men will showcase a trio of talented sophomores - Ben Ortega, Chris Orrel and Nick Martinez. The three combined for seven of the Lobo's top-10 8,000 meter times and 14 top-25 finishes as freshmen in 2000.

Senior Travis Clark, transfer Matt Gonzales and freshman Cameron Clark will also be an asset in outdoing last year's seventh-place finish at the Mountain West Conference.

"Those guy's are the top five or six people; anyone could be number one," Henry said.

Of the top seven runners, all but one are returning and 11 newcomers have been added to the group. Henry's new Lobos include six runners making their collegiate debuts and four college transfers. The team consists of one senior, seven juniors, nine sophomores and five freshmen.

The women's lineup includes senior Kim Baca, sophomore Sarah Gonzales and freshman Jackie Gallegos.

"Kim Baca and Sarah Gonzales are doing a super job and should lead the way," Henry said.

Gallegos has a successful high school career behind her with three 3-A state cross- country championships. Henry said he feels that Gallegos will have a breakthrough freshman season.

Like the men's team, six of the top seven runners return from last year.

"We are very young on the women's side," Henry said.

The eight newcomers include seven freshmen. Filling up the remainder of the roster are two seniors, one junior and three sophomores. Despite losing the team's top runner, Ashlee Othick, last season to graduation, the young team should still be anchored by its experienced runners.

Henry said he thinks the key to the season will be to stay healthy and try to be competitive at every meet.