Task force offers tactics to improve UNM

Group proposes changes to University Planning Council

The UNM Strategic Planning Task Force has recommended a lengthy list of tactics to improve the University.

The group is sponsoring three forums next week seeking input on the latest draft of the UNM Strategic Plan.

The task force outlined seven strategic directions UNM should take and today the Daily Lobo will take a closer look at the tactics suggested for the final four directions.

The fourth direction states that the University should provide an environment that cultivates and supports activities of national and global distinction.

The group suggested setting up a group that would advise the provost on how to maximize UNM’s strengths and build potential ones. It also recommended supporting distinguished programs and the faculty participating in those programs. The draft of the plan called for expanding the scope and effectiveness of UNM’s Public Information staff and publications to regularly highlight areas of distinction.

The task force also stressed the importance of attaining success in an uncompromising way.

The fifth direction states that the task force needs to draw on UNM’s resources in its pursuit to become a stronger University.

The group emphasized the importance of making the planning process an ongoing program. They recommended reorganizing the University Planning Council, UNM’s central planning group, to include more students, faculty and staff. The council also would deal with more planning issues, rather than focusing as heavily on the University budget.

The task force also said that the University’s budget process should be more open and involve a wider range of people from the UNM community.

The draft’s sixth objective calls for building all of the University’s resources. That includes enhancing the recruitment and retention of employees. The task force suggested proactive recruitment, enhanced compensation packages and employee rewards and recognition.

The group also emphasized enhancing professional development and improving student employees’ job experiences.

It cited the importance of using financial resources effectively and establishing a comprehensive three to five year financial planning process. The group also said it is important to maximize the University’s lobbying effort by making its needs clear and offering an organized plan that illustrates how the funding will be used in the future.

The task force also wants to enhance UNM’s resources for use in the classroom and in all other parts of campus.

The final direction emphasizes the importance of improving management and student support functions.

The group recommended articulate leadership, management and decision functions to assure both accountability and efficiency. The task force recommended building on the concept of shared governance by engaging faculty, staff and students more actively.

The task force suggested balancing accountability in decision making with encouragement of appropriate risk-taking. It added that UNM should streamline the approval process, eliminating redundancy.

Along the same lines, the group recommended eliminating duplication of services.

The plan also calls for an increase in efficiency and focus on customer service. To achieve this, the task force encouraged allowing students to fill out University paperwork online.

For more information about the Strategic Planning Process, go to www.unm.edu/~unmstrat.