Brooks' new trilogy different but familiar

Second book in series is action-packed, released

Terry Brooks' new novel, "The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara: Antrax," the second in the trilogy begun with "Isle Witch," returns to the world Brooks initially created with his incredibly successful first novel, "The Sword of Shannara."

"Antrax," the ninth book in the continuing series of Shannara, explains more of the workings and origins of the world of the Shannara novels than any of Brooks' previous work. Brooks develops not only his unique magic systems, but also a great deal more of the technology of the "Old World." He explores the dynamics of a post-apocalyptic world containing both magic and technology and the many repercussions of mixing two systems that were never intended to coexist. In doing this, Brooks reveals a great deal of the basis of his world that he has only hinted at in previous novels, and even at a connection to previously unrelated series - specifically "The Word and the Void."

As the second novel in a trilogy, "Antrax" takes characters introduced in the first novel and continues the progression of their epic quest. Many second episodes in a trilogy will often suffer from "middle-book-let-down syndrome," in which the middle book seems to be nothing more than a drawing out of the story to prepare for the climax in the final book. "Antrax" only suffers minimally from this tendency. The reader is not introduced to the characters, nor is the final resolution being presented, but Brooks still manages to keep the story engaging. He does this through a combination of techniques. The first is by simply telling an action-packed, conflict-driven story in a very factual, easy-to-read manner that is reminiscent of Tolkien and "The Lord of the Rings.

In fact, much of the basic story line smacks of the influence of Tolkien, with short, stocky dwarves, lithe, magical elves and mystical, brooding Druids.

The second technique that Brooks employs is exploration of the motivations and inner turmoil of each of the main characters. One of Brooks' strong points is a wide cast of distinct and well-thought-out characters, all of whom struggle with their own beliefs and needs.

Many previous readers of Brooks will find "The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara" trilogy to be both very reminiscent of, and distinctly different from many of his previous works. The most notable aspect is the use of many familiar characters and objects. The Druid Walker plays the usual central, manipulative and driving force of a Druid in a world much changed and advanced from the previous books. His manipulations lead the newest group of adventurers, including the current batch of Ohmsfords, on an epic quest.

All of the powerful talismans readers are familiar with make a comeback in "Antrax." What has changed the most from his previous novels in the series is the flavor of Brooks' style. As his worlds and writing progress, his works become both more complex and more readable. In this newest trilogy, the style takes a much darker tone than previously adopted in the "Shannara" series, a tone that was previously only apparent in the series of "The Word and The Void."

"The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara: Antrax" will be released on September 18.

Brooks will be at Page One Bookstore, 11018 Montgomery, N.E. on Sept. 21, 7:00 PM on one of the first stops of his national tour.