Grieving students can seek help on campus

Many may need therapy for post-attack mood swings

In the wake of last week's attacks, many in the UNM community are in mourning with the rest of the nation, but options are available to help ease the grieving process.

Carol Wagner-Adams, manager for Clinical and Therapy Services at the Student Health Center, offered advice to those who might feel overwhelmed by their emotions or are having a difficult time processing what has happened during the past week.

"First of all, I think maintaining as much of a normal routine as possible is important," she said. "Staying connected with the people you love is very important."

Wagner-Adams said that using this opportunity to discuss what is happening and what feelings or thoughts people have about the situation is essential to dealing with overloaded emotions.

She said that some people may find it helpful to keep a journal or stay up-to-date with the news. She added that some people may find avoiding the television, radio or computer more helpful.

Wagner-Adams said it might help people to give aid to the victims or the victims' families.

"I think the last information I heard from the local blood bank was that they had sufficient blood at this time and are asking people to hold off," she said. "There are any number of funds that have been started to help the victims if somebody is able to do that."

Wagner-Adams said that students might have a difficult time donating money, but still can find ways to help. She said that if students have a strong spiritual life they should stay connected with their religious groups or any other group they find helpful or supportive.

She said students who live in residence halls can talk to resident advisers and area coordinators. She said if they need to talk to someone other than faculty members they can access Nancy Uscher in the provost's office for assistance.

Wagner-Adams said people have been dealing with the grief associated with death and how they feel about having their country attacked.

She said people experience grief in waves.

"They may feel emotional, upset and feel a lot of pain about what has been happening," Wagner-Adams said. "That's kind of a normal response to loss."

She said most people haven't dealt with a situation like this before.

"It's not just the loss of individuals and family members, but also a loss of our sense of safety and a loss of our sense that we have absolute protection from the problems of the world," Wagner-Adams said.

She said the Agora Crisis Center and Clinical and Therapy Services welcome anyone who needs to speak to someone. Wagner-Adams said the therapy services at the health center welcome walk-ins with emergencies or crises.

"An emergency is a situation that is life threatening and any student that feels that they are in an emergency situation should just simply walk in and ask to see the on-call therapist," she said.

She added that crises are problems that may not be life threatening but can have an impairing impact on people.

The center offers individual, couple and group counseling and psychiatric services. Wagner-Adams said consultations are available for those who need help handling a situation involving a family member or friend.

The clinic can be reached at 277-4537 and Agora Crisis Center can be reached at 277-3013.