Hundreds of Hispanic high school students visit UNM

More than 500 New Mexico high school students were greeted Thursday with balloons, mariachis and extensive information about college life during the University's third annual Hispano Student Day.

The students visited the campus and were given information about admission requirements, financial aid, scholarships and skills needed to succeed at the University.

Mayka Archuleta, a junior at Grants High School, had never visited UNM before and said it was great to get a taste of what college is like.

"I think it was really good, and I was happy that they offered a lot activities that really helped you understand what you needed, where to go and how to prepare for going away to school," she said. "It's really important that they do things like this because it opens the door for all of us who live far away to really see what the changes will be like. It makes it a lot less intimidating."

While distance is an obstacle for Archuleta, the size of the University is what kept Rio Rancho senior Sara Rubio from visiting the campus before Thursday.

"It's so big, and I had no idea where to go," she said. "Now I have a much better idea of what's available and feel more comfortable with it all. It was pretty cool getting all my questions answered."

Jessica Miranda, a senior from Highland High School, said she is planning to go college and is considering attending UNM.

"I liked what they did because they really got us involved," she said. "They didn't just answer our questions, they gave us more information than we ever thought imaginable. It's a lot to take in and is sort of intimidating, but it's better that we all learn about it now."

Highland High School junior Tivo Martinez said he wished rain hadn't interrupted his chance to tour the campus and wished the activities were a little more interactive.

"Overall it was good, and I guess we need to learn what it's like to have more freedom yet still sit through lectures," he said. "I know a lot of people from my school wouldn't do well if they had all this freedom, but I don't want to waste money and my chance at an education. This taught me what I need to do to make sure that doesn't happen to me - I don't want to be a bad statistic."

UNM student Santiago Servizio, a graduate of Del Norte High School, was a volunteer who worked with the high school students Thursday.

"I came out here to help my younger sister and other students from my old high school," he said. "I think it's a great program, and I wish I had something like it when I was starting here. It puts these students so far ahead and really prepares them for the changes they will go through."

Jean Cruz, a counselor at Del Norte High School, has attended the event for several years and brought 35 students with her to campus Thursday.

"It's great for them to see what's ahead and what they need to do to succeed," she said.

Cruz said she knows Hispano Student Day is one of many events the University is offering to try to welcome more state students to UNM, but said that she hopes the school follows through once her students are in the system.

"I am really interested in looking at the retention rates and what happens once our young people are here," she said. "This event makes it clear that UNM wants them, but I also want to know what will happen to them once they are here. That's the next thing I really think the University needs to work on."

Veronica Mendez Cruz, director of El Centro de la Raza and one of the event's organizers, said it was important to have this event for Hispanic students because it is an investment in the state's future.

"This really lets them know that there are services available for them, that this is their University and that it's a reciprocal learning community - we learn from them and they learn from us," she said.

Rosa Cervantes, co-chairwoman of the event, said the committee that organized the day worked for a year gathering feedback about last year's program and seeking ways to improve based on students' responses.

"It's great for the students because they see that a college education is attainable and learn some of the skills they need to make it a reality," she said. "It's also great for the college students working with the younger group because they are learning about giving back to their community, which is so important. All in all, it's great for UNM too because the University gains so much from having well-prepared students excited about attending this school."