Lobos search for elusive win

Turnovers cost women's soccer a much-needed victory over Texas Tech

The faces on the players on the UNM women's soccer team were as long as the shadows at the UNM Soccer Complex.

They could not hide the disappointment of their 4-1 loss to Texas Tech University, a loss that kept the Lobos winless so far this season at 0-4-1. Texas Tech improved its record to 2-3.

The disappointment might have stemmed from missed opportunities and a couple of defensive lapses that cost the Lobos dearly. The defense turned the ball over twice deep in its own territory in the closing minutes of the first half, which led to two Red Raider scores.

The offense held a 21-10 shot advantage, but couldn't convert on most of those chances. The Lobos also missed several scoring opportunities to close the gap on Texas Tech in the final 30 minutes.

After the game, a lengthy, and at times heated, team meeting was held in the south end of the complex. Assistant coach Jorge Vela could be heard throughout the stadium expressing his displeasure with the team's performance. None of the players oor the coaches were available for comment.

The Red Raiders were led by senior forward Carrie Graham's two second-half goals that turned away the Lobos' comeback. Goalie Britney Peese played a solid game in the net, allowing the lone goal while saving seven shots.

Texas Tech head coach Felix Oskam said it was about time the Red Raiders converted on some of its scoring chances. He also said UNM's depth had him worried as the game wound down.

"They were just substituting left and right and I was a little concerned about that; that our kids would get tired there at the end," Oskam said. "But they did real well. I'm proud of them and they did take care of opportunities they created."

The first mistake the Lobos made came in the 36th minute when senior defender Danielle Pecastaing's pass was intercepted by Texas Tech forward Melanie Brosnahan, who then fired a shot past senior goalie Shelly Hammock for a 1-0 lead.

Pecastaing compounded the problem five minutes later when her pass was stolen by Kerri Campbell, who converted it for the Red Raider's second goal at the 41:57 mark.

The defensive lapses marred a half that had UNM outshoot Texas Tech 10-5, but the team began to take advantage its offensive prowess to start the second half. The Lobos crept back to within 2-1 eight minutes into the second half when junior Marte Dolva sliced her shot past goalie Brittney Peese. Dolva led the Lobos with five shots on goal.

A minute later, Dolva was open just inside the penalty box, but she hesitated for a moment and could not get off a shot.

The critical blow came when Graham raced past the UNM defense and scored from the right-hand side of the penalty box for a 3-1 lead with 16 minutes left in the game.

The Lobos applied some more offensive pressure late in the game, but they came away empty. Junior Michelle Longmire was called for off-sides when it appeared she beat the Red Raider defenders on a pass in the 70th minute. Dolva's header off a pass from Longmire floated high over the goal and then she missed to the left of the goal on another header.

Dolva penetrated deep into the penalty box a few minutes later, only to have her pass picked off by Texas Tech defenders.

It all became moot, however, when Graham scored her second goal at the 78:02 mark off an assist.

Oskam said he wanted to clog the middle of the field, where he felt it was most dangerous, and he was very concerned after UNM cut the lead to one.

"I told my players, `I don't want any goals against us in the second half,'" Oskam said. "Two-nothing, like the clichÇ says, is the most dangerous score. I said don't let up. Fortunately, I was so happy that we scored the third goal because that took the pressure off of us."

UNM plays the University of Texas at El Paso Friday at 7 p.m. The Lobos have lost the last three games against the Miners, the last a 2-1 verdict in El Paso, Texas last season.