Sports in Brief

The cross-country team started the season in an impressive fashion at the Lori Fitzgerald Invitational on Saturday as the men took home a victory and the women finished in second place.

The men's team had six of the top seven spots secured, including sophomore Chris Orrell's first collegiate victory. Orrell won the 6,600-meter run with a time of 21 minutes, 20 seconds. His teammates followed his example as sophomore Matt Gonzales finished second and sophomore Ben Ortega, senior Travis Clark, freshman Cameron Clarke and sophomore Nick Martinez placed fourth through seventh.

On the women's side, freshman Jackie Gallegos led the way for the Lobos as she placed third in the meet. She completed the 4,500-meter run in a time of 17 minutes, 58 seconds and was one of five Lobos in the top 15. Senior Kim Baca crossed the finish line in fifth place, recording her best time as a Lobo.

l l l

The UNM women's soccer team started the season winless as it tied Colgate University 1-1, and then lost to Syracuse University 4-1 on the road during the weekend.

Friday, the Lobos and the Colgate Red Raiders battled through a 120-minute, double-overtime draw. UNM seemed to be heading to its first victory after leading 1-0 late in the game. However, Colgate tied the score with just four minutes remaining in regulation on a goal by Allison Bernardini. Both teams had chances to score during the overtimes, but the goalkeepers for each team made it tough to get a goal. UNM took the lead in the 70th minute when freshman midfielder Rachel Addison scored, with an assist from fellow freshman LeAnne Hendren.

Saturday, Syracuse University (1-0) dominated UNM (0-1-1) in a 4-1 victory. Syracuse controlled the ball and attacked the Lobos for much of the game, outshooting UNM 21-4. After clinging to a 1-0 at the half, the Orangewomen scored three goals in the second half to seal the victory. Sophomore forward Camille Bremer scored her first goal of the season for the Lobos.

l l l

Junro Narita gave UNM all the scoring it needed in helping his teammates defeat Oral Roberts University 3-2 in overtime on Friday.

Narita, a junior, could not be stopped as he put in three goals in his first game as a Lobo, helping UNM record its first victory of the season. Narita started off his hat trick in the 22nd minute, tying the score at one goal apiece. He then gave the Lobos the lead minutes later when he scored off of a deflection. Possibly his most important goal came in overtime as he scored the game-winner off an assist by sophomore William Junot in the 101st minute.

UNM also was set to play Centenary University on Sunday but the game was rained out.