Sports In Brief

The UNM cross-country team looks to continue its early season success as it welcomes four teams to the UNM Lobo Invitational Saturday.

The tournament is the first home meet for the Lobos this season and the second meet overall. It will be a chance for the home fans to see a team that looked very impressive three weeks ago. On Aug. 31, the men's team won the Lori Fitzgerald Invitational and the women's team came in second place.

Both of UNM's teams finished in third place in last year's Lobo Invitational.

The Lobos will go up against Dine College, Louisiana State University, the University of Nevada at Las Vegas and the Air Force Academy.

The meet will be at the Paradise Hills Golf Club starting at 9 a.m.

***

The UNM women's basketball team has lost its second player in a month when freshman Kirby Killingsworth left the program earlier this week.

According to a press release, Killingsworth has left the school to be closer to her family in Longview, Texas. She was slated to play the shooting guard position for the Lobos.

In early August, the Lobos lost another player when incoming freshman Kirbi Wilson decided not to attend UNM because of personal problems.

***

The UNM women's soccer team will be looking for its first victory of the season this evening as it plays against the University of Texas at El Paso at the UNM Soccer Complex.

The Lobos have started the season 0-4-1 under first year head coach Kit Vela. The Lobos will be looking for revenge against UTEP (1-3) because last year the two teams faced off and the Miners won a hard-fought 2-1 victory in Texas.