Student earns radio recognition

UNM student Carilyn Rome said she learned about news gathering by watching professionals at work during her recent participation in the Young American Broadcasters Conference in Washington, D.C.

Rome was a semi-finalist for the Young American Broadcaster's Scholarship this spring and was chosen for the conference, which was sponsored by the National Association of Radio Talk Shows.

Rome, a communications major, said a highlight of the August conference was a presentation by Blanquita Cullum, host of BQ View, a syndicated radio call-in show. Rome said she respects Cullum because she is a Hispanic working mother and businesswoman.

"Little people can get where they want to get if they just keep working on it," Rome said.

Rome said seeing Greta Van Susteren interviewing the lawyer for Chandra Levy's parents live on CNN's Burden of Proof was amazing.

"I met a lot of people that I would never have access to," Rome said.

She added that the cuisine was excellent.

"George W. Bush's chef cooked lunch for us" she said.

Rome said she picked up journalism basics at her work-study job at KUNM 89.9-FM. In August, she interviewed U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft at a press conference in New Mexico. She said he was articulate and intimidating.

Rome said the most exciting aspect of the conference was a live broadcast from Radio

America, a national radio network. The students were asked to choose topics that do not get much coverage at their universities. Rome said she prepared herself for her topic on rape and domestic violence against women by interviewing members and staff. During three hours on air, the participants covered a wide range of topics varying from abortion to who should be allowed to drive.

"It's really neat to see young people empowered," she said.

Rome said she is going to start a Web site with seven of the female participants. Together, they hope to plan an interactive chat room to gather youth perspective about world issues, she said.

"Tell us what you want to hear about and we'll find it out for you," Rome said.

Contrary to her first impression that newspaper, radio and TV are separate entities, Rome said she found that they all work together.

"In order to succeed you have to be multifaceted," Rome said.