UNM volleyball team suffers fourth-straight match loss

UNM volleyball 2-5 after Los Angeles tournament

Staff Report

The UNM volleyball team dropped its fourth-straight match in weekend losses to Indiana University, Loyola Marymount University (LMU) and Arizona State University at the Loyola Marymount Classic in Los Angeles.

Late Saturday, the Lobos dropped the first game 30-20 to Indiana before roaring back for a 30-19 victory in game two. UNM then lost the final two games 30-27 and 30-24 to drop its overall record to 2-5, after beginning the season at 2-0.

Sophomore transfer Anna Reines had 18 kills and a season-high nine digs against the Hoosiers, while junior Vanessa Shields' 11 digs led the team.

Earlier Saturday against LMU, the Lobos captured the first game by a 30-26 margin. However, the Lions took three straight close games, 30-22, 30-22 and 30-26 to earn the win.

Setter Nicole Oehlman, who had 32 assists, guided the Lions and a career-high 15 kills to pace the team.

Reines led the Lobos with 18 kills and Vanessa Shields logged 14 against LMU. Kelly Griffin notched 44 assists and 14 digs.

In the tournament opener Friday against Arizona State, the Lobos dropped games one and two, 30-26 and 30-26. After rebounding with a 30-27 win in game three, the Lobos lost the final game 30-21.

Reines once again led the Lobos with 14 kills and senior Marena Thompson logged her first double double of the season with 13 kills and 14 digs.

Reines was named to the all-tournament team following Arizona State's defeat of Loyola Marymount in the championship match Saturday. She was the only Lobo to make the team.

The Lobos next see action Sept. 13 against Texas Tech University in Lubbock, Texas.