Art exhibit brightens walls, lifts spirits

Unlikely silver linings found in gallery at UNM Hospital

Silver linings, bursts of light, continually sought but infrequently found, bring hope and enlightenment to the heart when all is thought to be lost. Last Wednesday I found one, tucked quietly away amongst the fifth floor corridors of the Ambilatory Care Center at UNM Hospital.

An exhibit which, slipped in seemingly unnoticed by the masses on Aug. 17, and will remain on display until Oct. 26, splashes the walls with a brightness one could only dedicate to smiles and lightening of mood, even if for a fraction of a second. Titled "In the Eyes of the Beholder: Ten Photographers View Albuquerque," the exhibit is one curator Dr. Jonathan Abrams is exceptionally proud of, which I noted by the gentle glow in his eyes when he spoke of.

The building that houses the Ambulatory Center, was built in 1991 and is primarily a home for outpatient cardiology and internal medicine. Shortly after the building was constructed, Abrams was given permission to introduce an art gallery onto the floor and to the hospital.

Collecting various pieces from an assortment of artists, he began a project he has continued for almost 10 years - compiling a regular string of exhibits every year. He now has between four and six exhibits brightening the hallways of the center each year.

While I am standing in the corridor, a woman is slowly pushing an elderly woman in a wheelchair my way. As the two travel they are transfixed by the artwork that is to their left. At one point, there is a glimmer of a smile on each woman's lips. This is how it appears for each passerby, as "In the Eyes of the Beholder" reflects all that is seen in the hearts of the patients and employees.

Among the artists' works presiding over the the Ambulatory Center walls, five of the 10 artists are either active or retired UNM professors. The exhibit includes the works of photography professor Tom Barrow; Betty Hahn, a recently retired art photography professor; Patrick Nagatani, art professor; and Adrienne Salinger, art professor.

Miguel Gandert, a Communication and Journalism assistant professor, was the first artist to have an exhibition at the University Hospital. His piece, "Juanito with Pork Pie Hat, Albuquerque, N.M., 1985" was particularly intriguing, as it seemed to capture Albuquerque's casual acceptance of the paradoxical and diverse simplicity of our culture.

The eyes of many who enter University Hospital are beholden with sights unparalleled. Grief is experienced. Silence is absorbed.

Smiles are often missed. The eyes of many who enter University Hospital are stricken with worry and anxiety, and not a speck of silver is to be found within fathomable view.

Next time you are there, working, visiting or passing through, I recommend you take a detour to the fifth floor and find the Ambulatory Care Center. Take someone with you, tell others about this place. And if you are quick and careful, perhaps you will catch sight of a silver lining.