Grueling practices drive Lobo basketball

Since last Saturday's Lobo Howl, which marked the first day of practice for both the UNM men's and women's basketball teams, the howling has not stopped emanating from The Pit.

And players and coaches from both teams can both agree on how to describe the first full week of practice - intense.

"We're going hard, that's what the coach is emphasizing," guard Ruben Douglas said. "Especially on rebounds and defense. The new guys are like sponges; they're absorbing it faster than guys were last year."

Women's head coach Don Flanagan said he is pleased with the results of practice so far.

"I like our aggressiveness, attitude, hustle, good work ethic and we're playing well together," Flanagan said. "Every position is very competitively played right now and everybody thinks they've got a shot at minutes, which is the key."

Describing both teams' marathon practice sessions as intense just might be an understatement.

At the men's practice Monday, bodies hit the floor repetitively as the team worked on a rebounding drill. Shooting guard Tim Lightfoot could be heard screaming loudly as he drained a long 3-pointer and Douglas barked at newcomers to play until the whistle sounded.

Junior center Jordan Adams of the women's team said preparing for the season was fun even with the hard work involved.

"Everybody seems to be having a good time," Adams said. "Everybody's tired of course, but we're having fun and looking forward to the season."

Adams was named to the Mountain West Conference's first team, which she said is a testament to both her individual work ethic and the strength of the team.

"I just think that each year I'm getting older, getting wiser," Adams said. "I just have to step it up anyway. I don't look at it from the perspective that I have to carry everybody, especially this year, because our team can really score."

Douglas also was picked to the Mountain West's first team and said he paid very little attention to media predictions.

"My accolades should come from how we do as a team," Douglas said. "If we do well, I'll do well."

The Mountain West media picked the UNM women to finish fifth and the men to finish third in the conference.

Flanagan said since the media has always picked his team to finish around the middle of the conference, it lessened the pressure to live up to certain expectations.

Meanwhile, Fraschilla didn't find fault with where his team was picked to finish.

"The perception is that there are two teams ahead of us that have a lot of veterans back," Fraschilla said. "And the perception about New Mexico is they have a veteran back court, and if the young guys come on, we can be a very good team, and I think that's accurate."