Lobos defeat ranked team for first win of the season

The losing streak is over for the UNM women's soccer team as it stunned No. 12 ranked University of Kentucky 1-0 Sunday on the road at The Traditional Bank Invitational.

The Lobos won for the first time this year and ended a seven game winless streak, improving their record to 1-6-1.

Playing their third ranked team of the year, the Lobos shut down the Wildcats and got a game-winning goal from junior midfielder Michelle Longmire. The victory was the first for UNM head coach Kit Vela.

Longmire scored her first collegiate goal when she deflected an attempted clearing pass from Kentucky goalkeeper Beth Wells into the goal in the 63rd minute. Junior midfielder Michelle Nowfel sent a crossing pass through the box that fell between Longmire and Wells 20 feet from the goal. Wells came forward and attempted to clear the ball out of the box, but the hustling Longmire deflected Wells' kick into the back of the net.

Senior goalkeeper Shelly Hammock had an outstanding game in helping the Lobos break a six game losing skid. After sitting out Friday's 4-2 loss to Furman University, Hammock came back with 10 saves to thwart the high-powered Wildcats' attack.

Before Sunday's game, Kentucky had won seven of its previous eight games, outscoring teams 20-5.

"This was just a total team effort," Vela said in a press release. "Our freshmen stood strong and we finally played as team for 90 full minutes. We maintained our effort throughout the entire game and now this team knows what it takes to win."

Freshmen Rachael Addison, Laura Hafner and Deidre Devault were named to the all-tournament team.

The win came after the Lobos lost their opening game of the tournament against Furman Friday. In that game, the UNM defense played poorly and allowed three second half goals. Freshman Coco D'Angelo and sophomore Erchen Theys scored for the Lobos.

The defense learned from its mistakes against Furman and played inspired against Kentucky in getting the shutout. It was only the fourth time in two seasons the Wildcats have been held without a goal.

Staff Report