Players vie for starting position

The UNM women's basketball team has a fight on its hands for the starting point guard position as three freshman battle to see who will lead the Lobos' offensive attack this season.

The three players got to show off their talents to a sparse Lobo crowd at the annual Cherry/Silver scrimmage Saturday at The Pit.

The position is left with a void after the loss of Nikki Heckroth last year to graduation. The fight for the starting position is between Texans Mandi Moore, Brittany Wolfgang and Stephanie Shaw.

The Cherry team, which won the intrasquad scrimmage 62-50, started Moore and substituted in Wolfgang. The Silver team had Shaw directing the team.

Head Coach Don Flanagan said his early worries about guard play are being pacified by how good all three are playing right now.

"I am very happy with the point guard play right now," he said. "They are all pretty similar, they are skilled, they are smart and they understand how to win."

All three players are used to winning. They have a total of eight state championships under their belts along with numerous other individual accomplishments. All three players seem to be viable candidates to run the team, which makes it a tough decision for Flanagan.

"It can be any one of those three players, they are all playing very well," he said. "We have another week and a half, and then we have two exhibitions. Through that I will find out who will be a starter."

Flanagan said he was pleased with the performances of all three players in the scrimmage.

"I like the fact that they played hard, they went at each other and they battled," he said. "What I didn't like was we didn't execute as well as I had wanted to. There is a lot of things we need to work on, but I think we have had a good start when you think we have only been here a week."

Flanagan said the decision is tough and there is no clear-cut front-runner for the starting point guard position.

"I think we will have point guard play by committee," he said.