Scoring drought plagues Lobos

Men's soccer drops two games at home as its offense fails to produce

The lack of offensive firepower for the UNM men's soccer team is becoming costly as it lost to San Jose State University 1-0 Sunday at the UNM Soccer Complex.

The Lobos have been producing quite an impressive streak during the last couple of games. Only, it isn't a streak the team wants to have - 274 minutes and counting without scoring a goal.

The Lobos' (3-6-2, 0-1-1 in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation) futile offense could not generate a consistent attack despite a defense that manhandled the Spartans (7-5, 1-1) for much of the game. UNM's offense was plagued by sloppy passing and miscommunication.

"The guys played hard throughout, we're just not creating good scoring opportunities," associate head coach Jeremy Fishbein said. "We're not making wise decisions in the attack."

Although the offense continued to struggle, the defense held tough and contained the Spartans' offense. However, one defensive lapse cost the Lobos the victory. San Jose State defender Richard Halvorsen had a throw-in about 40 yards from goal. He heaved the ball just inside the 18-yard box, where teammate Frank Sanfilippo flicked the ball to defender Dylan Pender just a couple feet from goal. Pender then headed the ball past surprised Lobo goalkeeper Andrew Weber for the game-winning goal.

"We were afraid of their set plays on offense because that is their bread and butter," head coach Klaus Weber said. "We had a mistake with the marking in the box that cost us a goal, which was the game."

The Lobos increased their pressure on offense after the goal, pushing more players into the attack. The extra players on offense created several scoring opportunities that were not converted. Junior Junro Narita received a pass just outside the top left corner of the 18-yard box. He shielded two defenders from the ball and quickly sent a low shot that was just wide of the near post.

Perhaps the best offensive chance for the Lobos came just two minutes from the end of the game. Sophomore William Junot sent a corner kick into the middle of the box, where junior midfielder Marc Laws outjumped several defenders for a header that he sent over the goal.

"I thought we dominated the game," Fishbein said. "They took advantage of one set piece and that wins games. We're not executing all the time; it's frustrating. The guys are giving all they got, but it's not good enough."

Neither team was able to create many quality scoring chances because both teams' philosophies consisted of playing defense and counter attacking. The game consisted of 19 shots, but only two were on goal. UNM outshot San Jose State 11-8 for the game. It was the fifth time the Lobos have been shutout this season.

The first half was slow moving as neither team could generate any type of offensive rhythm. Both teams seemed content on playing defense, which slowed the pace of the game considerably. When the Lobos tried to create some offense, a bad pass or a lack of movement by players stalled the threats.

UNM has not scored a goal in two and a half games, dating back to the first half of a game versus the Air Force Academy Oct. 7.

Friday, two 90-minute halves and two 15 minute overtimes could not generate a goal from either UNM or Fresno State University in a scoreless tie to open conference play.

UNM had several chances, but could not score despite outshooting the Bulldogs 21-10. Narita and junior Javier Carrasco led the team with five shots each.