Today's ballot includes bond issues, charter amendments

Today voters will choose from a list of relatively well-known mayoral and City Council candidates, but they will also be asked to decide on 11 bond issues and three city charter amendments.

The bond questions ask voters whether they approve using General Obligation bonds to fund proposed capital projects worth nearly $132 million on a two-year bond cycle.

The projects went through several stages of review before being placed on the ballot, including approval by the City Council and mayor.

They have been grouped according to their general purposes so that voters have the option of approving one purpose and not another.

l The first issue asks whether the city should issue $5,302,500 of its general obligation bonds to construct, equip, landscape, enhance and acquire land and vehicles for the municipal fire department.

l The second bond issue asks whether to issue $10,549,950 in general obligation

bonds to develop, construct, renovate, expand and acquire land for city community centers, including those for families, youth and senior citizens.

l The third bond issue asks for $5,302,500 to acquire, enhance and upgrade equipment, vehicles and systems for the municipal police.

l The fourth issue requests $23,134,560 to enhance, improve and to acquire land, vehicles and equipment for various recreational facilities, including public parks, swimming pools, open space, medians and trails.

l The fifth bond issue asks for $4,343,000 to improve and upgrade public buildings, facilities and systems.

l The sixth issue seeks $5,454,000 to construct, renovate and enhance public libraries.

l The seventh issue asks for $5,373,200 to renovate and collect, preserve and maintain art and historic artifacts for city museums.

l The eight issue asks for $48,549,791 to study, construct, landscape and improve municipal streets, trails, walkways, railroad crossings and bridges.

l The ninth issue requests $5,518,842 to develop, rehabilitate and acquire land, vehicles and equipment for public transit.

l The 10th issue seeks $15,044,657 of its general obligation bonds to design, study, construct, rehabilitate and improve the storm sewer system.

l The 11th and final issue requests $3,030,000 to renovate and acquire equipment for the municipal zoo, botanic garden and aquarium.

Three proposed city charter amendments are also on the ballot. Those that are approved will become effective, if the election is not challenged, after the city certifies the canvas of the election. State law allows three days after the election to certify canvassing the results.

l The first amendment seeks to change Article IV, Section 3 of the Albuquerque City Charter concerning the instructions for City Council redistricting following the census.

It reads: After each federal census, the council shall appoint a committee composed of an equal number of representatives from each council district, none of whom shall be elective city officers, to review and make recommendations concerning the nine council districts. In making such appointments, the council shall, as nearly as is practicable, provide fair and balanced representation of all geographical areas of the city in the redistricting process and provide a total membership that reflects the racial, ethnic and gender makeup of the city's population.

Any recommended changes will comply with constitutional principles governing voting rights, population and similar related problems as determined by judicial decision from time to time. The district boundaries may be altered by the council and mayor once following each federal census. Such action shall require the approval of the mayor and shall not constitute an amendment to the charter.

l The second amendment seeks to change Article XIII, Section 4 (h) of the Albuquerque city charter. It concerns the period for which campaign contributions and expenditures shall be reported.

It reads: For the purposes of this section, contributions and expenditures include those contributions received and expenditures made by or on behalf of an individual at any time prior to the individual filing a declaration of candidacy for the office of mayor or councilor through the time the final campaign financing disclosure statement is due, or by or on behalf of a Measure Finance Committee at any time prior to the relevant election through the time the final campaign financing disclosure statement is due.

l The final amendment proposes to change Article XII, Section (5) by adding a new Subsection C. The change is concerning the quarterly statements of campaign contributions and expenditures for any elected office.

It reads: The mayor and each city councilor, during their term of office, shall file disclosure statements on January 15, April 15, July 15, and October 15 of each year setting out all contributions and expenditures, as defined in the City Election Code, during the previous quarter, raised or spent in connection with any campaign or pre-campaign activity for any elected office.

Expenditures of public funds in the regular course of the mayor's or councilor's official duties are not contributions and expenditures subject to such disclosure under this section.

The mayor and councilors are not required to file a quarterly statement if there have been no campaign or pre-campaign contributions or expenditures during the previous quarter by or for the particular mayor or councilor. These reporting requirements shall be in addition to the reporting requirements of the election code."

Staff Report