Century Theatre holds grand opening events

nNew cinema opens near campus with great fanfare, fund-raisers

Looking for something to do this weekend, but don't want to drive for half an hour to get to it? Why not grab a few friends and head Downtown for one of several grand opening events at the brand new 14-screen Century Theatre.

After about a year of planning and what theater spokesperson Joan Griffith called a last- minute "act of God" by the construction crew, the theater opens at the corner of Central Avenue and First Street with benefits Wednesday and Thursday and its first official night Friday.

The theater features giant, wall-to-wall curved screens, digital surround sound, rockers, loveseats and a cinema cafÇ. It joins the three-year-old Century Rio 24-screen theater in the Northeast Heights. Developers say the theater will be a boon to economic rebirth Downtown, attracting nearly 4,000 people per weeknight and 10,000 on the weekends, many who will stay downtown for food or cocktails.

"It's going to be a shot in the arm for Downtown revitalization," Griffith said.

In a statement, Nancy Klasky, Century Theatre's vice president of marketing, agreed.

"Theaters have always been more than just movie houses," she said. "In the industry's early days, the local cinema was the town's centerpiece and the focal point for social and cultural events."

The block around the theater is surrounded with new loft, office and retail space, much of which is still available. Several restaurants plan to open soon in the building, including Tucanos Brazilian Grill, ice-cream scooper Coldstone Creamery, and Comida Loco, a spin-off of the popular Southwestern deli in the Albuquerque Sunport, Comida Buena.

About 180 parking spaces are now available, and a new city parking garage behind the theater will open Dec. 2 with 650 spaces.

The first event, held last night, was called the "Canned Film Festival." For this event, any perishable food bought a ticket to a secret advance screening, which, incidentally, was not "Harry Potter," Griffith said. The food went to the Roadrunner Food Bank.

Tonight's event benefits Youth Development, Inc., a program for at-risk youth. For $25, moviegoers get dinner catered by local restaurants, live music, popcorn, soda and a special sneak preview of a movie, which also will not be "Harry Potter."

The theater opens officially Friday, with 10 films. They are as follows, "Harry Potter," "Monsters, Inc.," "Amelie," "The Man Who Wasn't There," "The One," "The Last Castle," "K-Pax," "Shallow Hal," "Heist" and "Domestic Disturbance."

On Saturday, the first 500 kids who come to the theater with their families will receive "Harry Potter" hats, T-shirts, CDs, lightening tattoos for foreheads and other goodies.

For more information, call the theater at 243-7469.