Rams burst Lobos' bowl bubble

Five UNM interceptions, strong play by CSU prove too costly for UNM

The UNM football team had bowl destiny in its hands coming into Saturday's game at home against Colorado State University, the final Mountain West Conference game for each team. But after dropping a hard-fought 24-17 decision to the Rams (6-5 overall, 5-2 MWC), the Lobos (5-5, 4-3) must beat New Mexico State University next Saturday to even be eligible, and will have to bank on an at-large bid or the possibility that Brigham Young University gets taken to a BCS bowl game, provided they do win.

"I know they played hard," UNM head coach Rocky Long said of his team. "They played their hearts out, but they didn't play very well."

UNM had an edge statistically, outgaining Colorado State on the ground and in the air. But quarterback Casey Kelly threw a career-high five interceptions - many coming at crucial moments - and the Rams' potent special teams play foiled the Lobos.

"Every time we got down close or were on a drive, we threw an interception," Long said. "There were some times he was under pressure, some times they had great coverage and some times he threw the ball bad."

Both teams struggled during the first quarter and the first part of the second.

CSU got on the board first on Kent Naughton's 35-yard field goal with 7:37 to play in the half after defensive back Ameer Lowe picked off a Kelly pass over the middle and returned it to the New Mexico 19.

On their ensuing possession, the Lobos drove the ball from their own 27 down to the CSU eight yard line. A pass to wide receiver Joe Manning in the end zone failed to connect, and in what may have been a sign of bad things to come, kicker Vladimir Borombozin missed his first field goal of the season from 25-yards out.

Kelly then threw his third interception of the half to Aaron Sprague in UNM territory and Naughton kicked a 25-yard field goal after a stalled Rams drive to give them a 6-0 advantage at the half.

On the Rams' first drive of the second half, quarterback Bradlee Van Pelt found a wide open Dallas Davis for a 39-yard touchdown strike. Running back Henri Childs then passed to Van Pelt for a two-point conversion to increase the lead to 14-0.

But the Lobos quickly struck back. At the 9:48 mark, Kelly connected with wide receiver Dwight Counter for an 85-yard touchdown pass - the second longest in Mountain West history - as he streaked past Lowe down the left sideline.

Then, less than two minutes later, linebacker Gary Davis caused a Van Pelt fumble and safety Terrell Golden scooped it up and ran it in to the end zone from 24 yards out. After Borombozin's extra point kick, the score was 14-14 and the Lobos were back in business.

"I thought we came out in the second half and came out with a renewed enthusiasm," Long said. "And if we don't have turnovers, we're playing well enough to win the game."

Unfortunately, it was turnovers and Colorado State's special teams play that were the Lobos' undoing.

UNM began its next offensive drive deep in their own territory after a Joey Huber punt pinned them on their own eight-yard line. The Lobos brought it out as far as the 26, but had to bring out Borombozin to punt.

He got off a 40-yard kick, but Davis returned it 44 yards to the UNM 22 and two plays later, the Rams broke the tie with Childs' 6-yard touchdown run.

Borombozin hit from 24 yards out to make the score 21-17 and Naughton countered for the Rams with a 19-yard field goal with 5:02 to play in the game.

The Lobos took over and appeared to be driving towards a score, but Kelly threw his fourth interception of the game, to Justin Gallimore at the CSU 19, which killed the drive.

The Lobos had the ball again with more than 1:00 minute to play, and made it to the CSU 36 with eight seconds to play. But Kelly threw his fifth interception on a Hail Mary attempt into the end zone as time ran out.

Senior fullback Jarrod Baxter led all rushers with 82 yards on 17 attempts and Counter led all receivers with 121 yards on three receptions. Kelly completed 15-of-33 pass attempts for 255 yards.

There's still a slim chance that the Lobos could go to a bowl game, but Long has ruled that out.

"We know we're not going to a bowl game," Long said. "Everybody else will jump off the bandwagon, but our kids will be back working hard on Sunday just like every week."