Bookstore closes to those without ID for tax-free sale

The UNM Bookstore begins its two-week, tax-free textbook program today, which allows students to save 5 percent on textbooks but closes the store to people without proper identification.

Gary Roberts, customer service supervisor at the bookstore, said UNM students collectively saved $150,000 when tax-free status was offered for the first time during the fall semester.

"We really like this program," he said. "Anything that can save people money is great."

Roberts said the biggest problem last semester was closing the bookstore to those without a valid Lobo identification card or a current class schedule.

"It is a real inconvenience for the community," he said. "But most people are understanding when they realize that we are trying to save students money."

Dupuy Bateman, associate vice president of Auxiliary Enterprises, said the bookstore is able to provide tax-free textbooks for students because of a state law.

"According to the law, we have to close the store to the general public in order to allow students to purchase books without taxes," Bateman said.

He said a bill was introduced last semester to make textbooks permanently exempt but failed.

"(ASUNM president) Andrea Cook will be involved in trying to get this bill passed this session," Bateman said. "We are hopeful that legislation will exempt course material from government tax without having to close the bookstore."

Anicia Esposito, marketing manager for the bookstore, said the staff wants to make the process of purchasing tax-free books as easy as possible this semester.

"We are opening 28 registers and we have 50 temporary employees coming in," Esposito said.

Roberts explained why current class schedules are also acceptable forms of identification.

"A lot of people don't carry their Lobo cards around so we have a computer in the lobby that will print out a copy of their schedule so they can be admitted," he said.

Esposito, whose job involves spreading the word about the program, said advertising and promotion began in December.

Erin Blanton, a junior majoring in marketing and a bookstore employee, said the bookstore's top priority is students.

"Door duty was the toughest position last semester," Blanton said. "But even though we had to close to the public, we still went through with the tax-free program."

Blanton said she thought the program went well but wasn't sure what students thought about it.

"We really didn't get a lot of feedback from the students," Blanton said. "I think it would be good if students really voiced their opinion and let us know what is working and what isn't working."