Football team adds needed depth

UNM signs eight JC transfers, welcomes back Ratcliff

The UNM football team has added much needed depth to its roster in the early signing period, particularly on defense. Eight junior college transfers signed Dec. 19, allowing them to enroll for the spring semester and participate in spring drills.

"Five are in classes as of yet," head coach Rocky Long said. "We are waiting for the transcripts of the other two."

The players signed are linebackers Daniel Gawronski, Fola Fashola and Jimmy Taylor; defensive linemen Casey Hamilton and Zachary Rupp; defensive backs Joel Paoli and Sidney Wiley; and tight-end Zach Cresap.

Long said that while the team was not lacking in depth as a whole, it did miss older players with experience because of a small senior class.

"They are not walking into starting spots, which is a good thing for our program," he said. "They will have to earn their spots."

Spring drills will begin Feb. 11 and Long emphasized the importance of the new recruits getting an early start on learning the system.

"We'll have three days with no pads, where we will be relearning the offense and defense and working on execution," Long said. "After that, we will go Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and will have three full-speed scrimmages."

The spring signing begins Feb. 6 and Long said he will be mostly concentrating on high school players.

"Most of the high school recruits will need to red-shirt and develop," Long said. "We like to red-shirt all of our freshman."

The Lobos will receive an additional boost on defense next fall when 2000 Mountain West Conference co-freshman of the year Brandon Ratcliff returns. Ratcliff had been enrolled at Cedar Valley College in Lancaster, Texas, for the fall term to regain his academic eligibility, which he lost at UNM.

"Brandon will return in the fall," Long said. "He met every requirement for eligibility. After speaking to his family, we decided returning in the fall was the best thing for him now."

Ratcliff will be classified as a junior when he returns.

In other football news, six Lobos have earned post season honors. Offensive guard Claude Terrell was named to the freshman All-American team by the Football Writers Association of America. Also, linebacker Nick Speegle was named third team freshman All-American by The Sporting News.

Four seniors have also earned honors, being invited to college football all-star games that are recruiting grounds for the NFL.

Fullback Jarrod Baxter played in the Shrine Game Dec. 12 and will also play in the Senior Bowl Jan. 26.

Mohammed Konte and Stephen Persley have been invited to participate in the inaugural Paradise Bowl in St. George, Utah.

Holmon Wiggins played in the Blue-Gray Classic on Christmas Day, rushing for 12 yards and forcing a fumble on special teams for the Blue squad, which won 24-7.