Sports in Brief

The UNM baseball team starts the season on the road this weekend when it plays against the University of Arizona.

After struggling last season, the Lobos will be trying to start the season

on a positive note. UNM and the Wildcats start a three-game series today. The Lobos have lost to Arizona 14 straight times and have not won since 1997.

The Lobos ended last year 26-34 and 14-16 in the Mountain West Conference, good enough for third place.

......

The UNM Nordic and Alpine ski teams will compete in Denver this weekend for its third Rocky Mountain Intercollegiate Ski Association meet of the season.

The Lobos are in fifth place overall in the conference heading into the competition which is sponsored by the University of Denver.

The Alpine events will consist of a giant slalom race Friday and a slalom race on Saturday. The Lobos are in fifth place overall in the association's Alpine Team standings. The women lead the way with a third place standing, while the men are in fifth.

The Nordic events include a classic race Friday and a sprint race on Saturday. The Lobos will be without their top two men - senior Tomas Dohnal won't make the trip to Colorado and freshman Jesse Carlstrom is in Germany competing in the Junior World Championships.

The Lobos are in sixth place overall in the conference. The women's team is in fifth place while the men are in seventh.

......

The UNM swimming and diving teams will battle it out in the pool with intra-state rival New Mexico State University on Saturday in Las Cruces.

The Lobos will be looking to recover from disappointing events last week when they lost two matches in the Mountain West Conference. UNM is 4-6, 2-4 in the conference after losing to Brigham Young University and the University of Utah.