Sports in Brief

The UNM women's tennis team struggled on the road this weekend, going 1-2 in three games in Tucson Ariz.

The Lobos (1-2) were in good shape early on in the weekend, posting a 4-3 win against the University of San Diego. But things went south in a hurry the next two days as UNM lost a hard-fought 4-3 decision to Kansas State University on Saturday. Although the Lobos lost, sophomore Tjasa Suvak had a breakthrough performance, beating the Wildcats Alena Jecminkova, who was ranked sixth in the Central Region, 6-2, 6-3.

The Lobos ended the weekend by losing to the University of Arizona 5-2.

......

The UNM men's tennis team went on the road for the first time in the spring season and ended up going 1-1 in two games.

The Lobos (2-1) opened the Team Indoor Regionals in Boise, Idaho with a 6-1 loss against fellow Mountain West Conference foe 53rd-ranked San Diego State University Friday. The loss dropped UNM into the consolation bracket, where it battled against 59th-ranked Boise State University Saturday.

After suffering their first loss of the season, the Lobos recovered by beating the Broncos 5-2. Despite losing the doubles point, UNM won five of the six singles matches, all in straight sets.

Friday, the lone point from the Lobos came from senior Bart Scott at the number two singles position. He defeated the Aztecs' Tim Pest in three sets 4-6, 6-4, 6-4.

......

The UNM men's and women's track and field teams had a strong showing in its first indoor meet of the season at the Air Force Invitational in Colorado Springs, Colo.

The women's team finished fifth and won two events, while the men's team corralled a sixth place finish.

Senior Monique Harris and freshman Kelli Myers each won their events. Myers won the high jump by clearing five feet, seven inches, which is two inches farther than any Lobo jumped last year. Harris won the long jump by leaping 18 feet, eight inches.

Sophomore Chris Orrell led the way for the men, finishing second in the 5,000 meter run with a time of 15 minutes 36.74 seconds.

The Lobos return to action next weekend when they travel to Reno, Nev. for the Wolf Pack Invitational, sponsored by the University of Nevada.

......

Saying that the University of Arizona has the UNM baseball team's number may be an understatement.

The Lobos were swept by the Wildcats in the three game series during the weekend to extend their losing streak to Arizona to 17 games. UNM has not beaten the Wildcats since 1997.

UNM lost its first three games of the season in blowout fashion, losing 6-2 Friday, 23-2 Saturday and 8-2 Sunday.

The Lobos have their home opener next weekend when they play against Texas Tech University at Lobo Field.