Utah schools UNM with a 30-point win

The University of Utah shot 55 percent from the field and held the UNM men's basketball team to 27 percent shooting in the second half to post a decisive 81-51 pasting of the Lobos Monday night.

The Utes' (14-3, 4-0 in the Mountain West) dominance over the Lobos continued, with Utah having won 16 of the teams' last 21 meetings, dating back to March of 1994. Utah also extended its current winning streak to 11 after beginning the year 3-3.

The Utes' win was not only the worst loss of the season for UNM (12-5, 2-1), it was the Lobos third worst loss in Pit history. Only a 34-point loss to Utah State University in 1979 and a 36-point loss to Utah in 1995 rank worse.

"We got a clinic tonight," UNM head coach Fran Fraschilla said. "They're just really hard to guard, especially for a team like us that's got to play one or two or three young guys."

UNM's young, inexperienced front line was no match for Utah's big men, who not only scored at will inside, but hit from the outside as well. Britton Johnsen and Phil Cullen, who both check in at 6-feet, 9-inches combined for 40 total points, including seven-of-nine from 3-point land.

Meanwhile, UNM's inside trio of Patrick Dennehy, Chad Bell and Jamaal Williams combined for 13 points.

The Lobos jumped out to an early 12-4 lead behind two 3-pointers by junior guard Ruben Douglas.

Utah finally caught up to the Lobos, though, tying the game at 14 on Trace Caton's 3-pointer with 11:20 to play in the first half.

But the tie would not last long.

Johnsen and Cullen combined for 17 points during a 24-10 Utah run during the next 9:51 as the Utes built a 38-24 lead, and took a 41-29 lead into the locker room.

And though the Lobos did shoot an admirable 12-of-25 in the first half, they could not repeat that performance in the second.

Utah's zone defense seemed to halt UNM's penetration and forced the Lobos into some early shots.

Now-backup point guard Marlon Parmer, who had 13 points and six assists in UNM's 73-58 victory over Brigham Young University Saturday, had no points and one assist against Utah. He attempted only one shot.

"I'm just trying to fit in and do what's best for the team," Parmer said. "They don't want me to shoot the ball, so I'm just going to continue to move it and get everybody involved and not be so aggressive."

As Parmer and his teammates struggled to hit only six of its 22 shot attempts, the Utes were on fire, utilizing their methodical offense to constantly find open shooters and easy back door baskets.

"New Mexico's a great team, but one of their problems is they shoot so early, and I think they could get better shots," Johnsen said. "Maybe that's their style, maybe that's how they've been winning, but we never strayed from our game plan, and that's what helps us win."

The Lobos got within eight in the second half, opening with six quick points. But it was as close as they would get the rest of the way, as Utah built a 22-point lead with 5:34 to play and led by as much as 31 points at 79-48.

Douglas led all UNM scorers with 21 points on eight-of-17 shooting. Point guard Senque Carey had 11 points, six rebounds and two assists.

UNM takes to the road for conference games at the University of Wyoming Saturday and at Colorado State University Monday.

The Lobos are 1-1 on the road this season, its lone win being at New Mexico State University Dec. 5.