Bomb threat targets biology building

No explosives found during search of Castetter Hall

UNM police officers evacuated Castetter Hall for about two hours after the department received a bomb threat call Tuesday morning.

Lt. James Daniels, spokesperson for UNMPD, said no explosives or strange packages were found in the building. Police are still investigating.

The call came at about 9 a.m., he said, and officers, with the help of the Albuquerque Fire Department, evacuated and secured the biology building until about 11:30 a.m.

"We had a couple officers do a cursory search and look for packages that were out of the ordinary," he said.

Pedestrian traffic around the building was rerouted during the evacuation.

Kate Miska, a biology graduate student, was sitting in one of her classes in Castetter Hall when she heard the news.

"Somebody came in and said to leave the building because someone had called in a bomb," she said.

She said the threat didn't worry her very much.

"I think it's good that they're taking precautions," she said.

UNM student Tania Silva was headed to Mitchell Hall for class when she was asked to take a different route.

"I'm already late for my class," she said, walking fast.

Silva said she has been more aware of her surroundings since the Sept. 11 attacks and has realized that the country is not always a safe place.

"It's probably someone playing a stupid joke," she said about the call. "I hope so."

Almut Zieher was told to walk around buildings to catch the South Lot shuttle.

"It doesn't make much sense for anyone to bomb a University," she said. "It makes me sad about the state of affairs and the way the world is being dealt with."

Daniels said bomb threats are not unusual at UNM.

"Between mid-terms and finals we get a few of these, people don't want to take tests so they call in a bomb threat," he said. "We have to take each of them seriously, so that's what we do."