Outpost to welcome spring with diverse acts

Ahh, spring. The Outpost Performance Space rings in this time of rebirth with a hot March calendar of Jazz, folk, chorale and world beat music - just the thing for a warm weekend evening.

On March 2, listeners can broaden their horizons with Eastern European music with Albuquerque's own SVIRKA Women's Balkan Chorus. Formed in 1980, the group's nine women sing both traditional and modern music from the Balkan region.

On March 4 at 7:30 p.m., bassist, composer and host of KUNM 89.9-FM's The House that Jazz Built Zimbabwe Nkenya and his jazz outfit Zimbabwe Nkenya Quartet will grace the stage with the music of Thelonius Monk, Wayne Shorter, Ornette Coleman and the Art Ensemble of Chicago.

Banjo picker Elliot Rogers, of the award-winning bluegrass band Elliot's Ramblers, hits the stage March 8 with his wife, Janice, and other guests. Rogers, a former Austin, Texas, country scene stalwart, moved to Albuquerque in the early '80s. The show is at 8 p.m.

Canadian pianist and composer Dana Reason will bring her mercurial and passionate work to the Outpost March 9.

The Rio Grande Jazz Society presents a night with members of the group Jazz a La Carte and others March 11 at 7:30 p.m. The program will be divided into two parts, one focusing on swing and another highlighting Dixieland music.

New Mexico native poet and author Benjamin Alire Saenz will read March 14 at 7:30 p.m. in celebration of his new book Elegies in Blue. The fourth of seven children to a Spanish-speaking family from Picacho, about 40 miles north of the border, Saenz entered the seminary in 1972 and was ordained a priest. He left the priesthood nearly four years later to enter the Creative Writing program at the University of Texas at El Paso, where he now teaches.

Indian Carnatic vocalist Sanjay Subrahmanyan, one of the most sought after performers of this traditional method, hits the Outpost for the third time March 17 at 7 p.m. Subrahmanyan has performed all over the world and is a regular on television and radio.

Standout jazz pianist Geri Allen and her Geri Allen Trio perform March 22 at 8 p.m.

Three of New Mexico's finest jazz musicians, John Trentacosta, David Parlato and Chris Allen will keep feet tapping with jazz standards, post-bop and free-bop as Jazzology visits the Outpost March 25 at 7:30 p.m.

And finally, New Orleans-based Dirty Dozen Brass Band rounds out the March schedule on the 29th at 8 p.m. The Dirty Dozen forges the deeply-entrenched traditions of New Orleans jazz with the modern influences of bebop, funk, R&B and pop.