'Plagues' seminar descends on UNM

The UNM Institute for Medieval Studies is sponsoring a series of free seminars titled "The Plagues of the Middle Ages" that begin tonight and run through Saturday afternoon.

Professors from UNM and other universities will speak and lead panel discussions about the plague, its impact and historical importance on the world. The first seminar, "Definitions and Parameters: The Biology of the Plague," begins tonight at 7 p.m. All lectures will be in the Anthropology Building Room 163.

Leslie Donovan, a UNM assistant professor who teaches medieval legacy in the University Honors Program, said the plague fascinates many people.

"This year we wanted to do something dealing with medieval medicine and it seemed the likely topic would be the plague because in New Mexico we are one state that still has the plague and we wanted to do something that was interesting and useful in the community," Donovan said.

Last year the institute sponsored a seminar on medieval optics, such as lenses and telescopes.

Donovan said it worked very well and the institute decided to continue the study of medieval science by focusing on the plague.

Plague is a disease caused by the bacterium Yersinia pestis. People can get the plague when a flea that is carrying the bacteria bites them.

In the span of about one year during the Middle Ages, between 1348-49, it is estimated that one-third to two-thirds of the entire population of Europe was killed by the plague, according to a medieval studies statement.

Donovan said people's interest in the plague stems from a fascination with things that are devastating and outside of their control. She said that the popularity of Hollywood movies about deadly viruses that kill massive amounts of people are evidence of society's curiosity.

Donovan said the seminars are important because the Bubonic plague still exists in New Mexico.