Sluggish softball seeks firepower

Lobos to face CSU, Texas Tech, NMSU at home

It has been a rocky ride for the UNM softball team so far this season thanks to a grueling schedule, but the Lobos are looking to provide the punishment this weekend in the Lobo Invitational.

UNM (4-7-1) has played an early season schedule peppered with ranked teams and hope that experience will help them improve as the season progresses, starting with five games this weekend.

The Lobos play fellow Mountain West Conference foe Colorado State University Friday and a pair of doubleheaders with Texas Tech University Saturday and New Mexico State University Sunday at Lobo Field.

"They will be difficult games," head coach Susan Craig said. "We are just looking to improve and get better, but if we play like we are capable we should win."

The tournament will probably not be as tough as the recent stretch of opponents UNM has faced. The Lobos have played three ranked teams, losing all of them by a combined score of 16-0, and several other tough opponents in two national tournaments.

Although the Lobos have struggled, Craig said the team is taking its lumps in stride.

"We are constantly getting good lessons on how to play good team ball and we are getting better because of it," she said. "It's a learning experience."

What UNM is understanding is that they are not a good offensive club early on after averaging a measly three runs a game, including being shutout four times.

The Lobos are batting at a .239 clip and have very little firepower in their arsenal, having hit only three home runs in 12 games.

Craig said the shortage of productivity at the plate stems from a lack of consistency.

"We have too many people that are not disciplined enough at the plate," she said. "It is especially critical to be patient against good teams because they find your weaknesses and use them against you."

She said the only Lobos that have been producing on a consistent basis are junior outfielder Kelly Glass and senior second baseman Brooke Chaffee. Glass has 17 hits in 40 at bats for an impressive .425 batting average. Chaffee leads the team with six doubles and seven runs batted in while hitting .359.

The number of victories in the tournament might depend on how many runs the Lobos can muster up. The good thing for UNM is that the upcoming competition is also struggling, with none of the three teams close to the .500 mark.

CSU, who finished in last place in the conference last season, is 3-9. The Lobos were 3-2 against the Rams last year, all in conference play.

UNM might be able to get the offense together against Texas Tech. The Red Raiders are 8-14 and are allowing 6.02 runs a game.

Intra-state rival NMSU also has a losing record at 10-17, although it does have a respectable 3.98 earned run average.

Game time Friday against the Rams is at 2 p.m. at Lobo Field.