Sports in Brief

The UNM women's tennis team split a pair of games in Texas this weekend.

The Lobos (4-4) lost to No. 26 Texas Christian University 5-2 on Saturday, but they rebounded with an impressive victory against Texas Tech University

5-2 Sunday.

UNM, ranked 66th, had an easy time with Texas Tech, winning two of the three doubles matches to get the one point and four of the six singles matches.

Saturday's match was a hard-fought, close contest, and three of the six singles matches went to three sets.

The Lobos next match is at home Feb. 26 against Furman University at 5 p.m.

......

The UNM baseball team lost all three games this weekend at the Crown Plaza/Rice Invitational in Texas.

The Lobos (4-10) lost two heart-breaking extra-inning games by one run and also lost to the host school. UNM started the tournament on Friday by battling eighth-ranked University of Nebraska for 13-innings before finally losing 3-2. The next day the Lobos lost in similar fashion to No. 22 Wake Forest University 3-2 in 13 innings. Sunday UNM lost to Rice University 9-5.

The Lobos are now preparing for a three-game series against Northwestern University Feb. 22-24 at Lobo Field.

......

The UNM softball team finished in sixth place in this weekend's Campbell/Cartier Classic in San Diego, Calif.

The Lobos (2-3-1) went 2-1 and had two games canceled due to inclement weather. UNM opened the tournament by winning its first two games of the season, defeating Sacramento State University 12-7 on Friday. Sophomore pitcher Amy Dumas picked up the victory after allowing seven runs in four-and-a-third innings pitched. Senior second baseman Brooke Chaffee went four-for-five with four runs batted in. The Lobos followed that victory up with a 1-0 shutout of the California State University Northridge. Sophomore lefty Hayley Punter pitched a complete game four hitter for the win.

Saturday, the Lobos suffered their first defeat of the tournament, losing 6-0 to the University of the Pacific.

Both of UNM's games on Sunday were canceled because of rain.