UNM bests UNLV from charity stripe

Free throws the difference in much-needed home win

Ruben Douglas scored 29 points and knocked down a school record 15 consecutive free throws, leading the UNM men's basketball team to an 84-81 overtime win over the UNLV in The Pit Tuesday night.

"It was a great effort," UNM head coach Fran Fraschilla said. "We played with a lot of heart and came up with a win."

Free throw shooting that once was the Lobos' nemesis became their redemption and proved to be the deciding factor in the game. UNM picked up 11 of its 13 overtime points from the charity stripe. The Lobos knocked down 29-of-35 free throws, which was 16 percent better than the team's average, while the University of Nevada at Las Vegas hit 10-of-11.

"We got into the lane and that's why we shot 35 free throws, and I think that was the key to the game," Fraschilla said. "For a team that was as athletic as Vegas, I thought we did a good job of attacking the basket. They blocked 11 shots and we still kept coming at them."

UNM never trailed in overtime and led by as much as four points in the extra period, despite 10 points from UNLV's Jevon Banks, Dalron Johnson, and Marcus Banks.

It appeared that the Lobos might avoid the extra period, but defensive lapses nearly cost them the game. With 1:49 remaining in the second half, Douglas hit a jump shot in the lane that put the Lobos up 69-65. On the next possession, Lobo center Patrick Dennehy switched to double team forward Chris Richardson, leaving Dalron Johnson open to knock down a 3-pointer. Douglas hit two free throws, making the score 71-68, but with 6.9 seconds left, Lou Kelly shook off Douglas and knocked down the 3-pointer that sent the game into overtime.

"The guy faked me out of my pants and made the shot," Douglas said. "I know him from back home in California, and I know what kind of a player he is. I know I'm going to hear about that shot when I go back home. He hit a tough shot but we came out with the victory and that's what's most important."

Douglas ended the game with a double-double - 29 points and 11 rebounds. Guard Eric Chatfield added 24 points, while Dennehy chipped in 16 points and hauled in 14 rebounds.

Meanwhile, Johnson finished with a double-double of his own - 25 points and 11 rebounds.

"I thought overall we did a great job on Johnson even though he took 35 shots because he really had to work for them, but he's a heck of a player," Fraschilla said, praising Dennehy's defense.

UNLV's Marcus Banks added 21 and Kelly finished with 16 points and several stitches above his right eye.

Douglas' 100 percent shooting from the free throw line was a stark contrast to the two free throws he missed against Gonzaga University Jan. 7 that would have given the Lobos a win. Instead, UNM has struggled since it fell 95-90 in overtime to the No. 18 Bulldogs in The Pit.

"After that game, I didn't go into the game and shoot free throws because I lacked confidence or thought my shot was off," Douglas said. "I don't know how I missed those free throws, but it's just a game where fate worked out that way. I didn't change my shot, I just focused."

The game gave the Lobos a much needed boost and allowed them to break out of several slumps, including a two-game home losing streak and Douglas' 1-12 shooting performance in a 78-65 loss to San Diego State University Saturday. UNM is now 14-7 overall and 4-3 in conference play, while the Rebels fell to 11-8 and 3-4.

While it was a UNM win, the game was anything but pretty, especially during the first half that saw both middle of the pack Mountain West Conference teams shooting less than 35 percent from the field.

"Coach got on us a little bit at halftime about our shot selection and how we were executing," Douglas said. "In the second half, we had to make a statement because the last couple of games we've been up at halftime but never came up with the victory."