Bumps, bruises on tap for women

The battle for the women's basketball Mountain West Conference Tournament Championship will be a test to see which team can handle physical play for three straight games.

The conference is known for its strong and defensive-minded teams and this season was no different. Colorado State University is the top team in the conference, but several other schools have a chance to win the title.

#2 New Mexico Lobos vs. #7 San Diego State Aztecs

The Lobos (21-6, 10-4) swept San Diego State in both meetings. UNM defeated the Aztecs on the road 58-49 Jan. 23 and followed that up with a 63-53 victory in The Pit Feb. 23.

UNM is the best defensive team in the conference, holding opponents to 56.7 points a game.

Guard Claire Swinbank leads the Aztecs (10-17, 2-12) in scoring with 11.9 points per game, while junior center Jordan Adams leads the Lobos with 14.2 points a game.

#1 Colorado State Rams vs. #8 Air Force Falcons

CSU handily beat the Falcons in both meetings this season. The Rams beat Air Force 63-55 on the road Feb. 2 and hammered the Falcons 84-40 at home Feb. 27.

CSU (23-3, 12-2) has three players scoring 13 points a game. Forward Amoy Jackson leads Air Force (4-23, 0-14) with 10.4 points a game.

The Rams should rout the Falcons, considering Air Force is winless in conference and last in most categories in the conference.

#3 Brigham Young Cougars vs. #6 Wyoming Cowgirls

BYU swept the Cowgirls, winning both games easily. The Cougars won the first meeting at home 81-65 Jan. 12 and followed that up by ousting Wyoming 75-58 on the road Feb. 7.

The Cougars (19-8, 10-4) are the best 3-point shooting team in the conference, hitting eight a game at a 41 percent clip. Four players average scoring in double figures for BYU, with guard Erin Thorn leading the way with 17 points a game.

Forward Carrie Bacon leads the Cowgirls (13-14, 5-9) with 13 points a game.

#4 UNLV Rebels vs. # 5 Utah Utes

UNLV and Utah split this season, with each team winning on the road.

The Rebels ousted the Utes 79-71 Jan. 31, but Utah responded by beating the Rebels Saturday 69-65.

The Rebels (21-7, 9-5) are the highest scoring team in the conference, averaging 73 points a game behind forward Linda Frohlich and guard Constance Jinks.

Frohlich leads the conference in scoring at 21.6 points a game. Jinks is third in the conference with a 17-point average.

Guard Lindsay Herbert leads Utah (14-11, 8-6) in scoring with a 14.7 average, including 49 percent from 3-point range.

Women's college basketball post-season: At the Big Ten Tournament in Indianapolis, Jill Chapman scored 17 points and grabbed 10 rebounds, and Heather Cassady added 13 points as fifth-seeded Indiana beat No. 7 Purdue 55-41 Sunday and advanced to its first Big Ten tournament championship game.

The Hoosiers (16-13) will face the winner of Sunday's semifinal between second-seeded Penn State and sixth-seeded Wisconsin in the championship game.

The Boilermakers (23-5) lost for the second straight year as the tournament's first seed.

A year ago, they lost to Iowa in the championship game but rebounded to reach the NCAA tournament final.

Purdue had won nine straight games against the Hoosiers, with its last loss on Jan. 25, 1998.

The Boilermakers defeated Indiana twice this year, 61-53 in Bloomington and 79-55 in West Lafayette.

Staff Report