UNM event to celebrate composers

nRobb symposium brings music masters to campus

The 31st annual John Donald Robb Composer's Symposium is an internationally-renowned event that will feature visiting composers from around the world.

The symposium will provide the public with set times to "Meet the Composer," two panel discussions and composition seminars featuring the visiting composers.

The seminars will give the public a chance to hear from the composers and get insight into the music world, which includes demonstrations and lectures.

"It (the symposium) is meant to be something to let the general public learn about what's going on in music today," said Chris Shultis, a composition teacher at UNM who is involved with organizing the event.

A special guest at the symposium will be Pauline Oliveros, internationally acclaimed for her work as composer, performer and humanitarian. She has been crediting for originating today's meditational music.

The visiting composers as well as UNM faculty will hold the two panel discussions on Monday and Wednesday. The two topics of discussion will be "Materials, Meaning, and the Compositional Process" and "Women, Music and Social Transformation."

The event organizers aim to bring together an eclectic group of people, both to attend the symposium and to run it.

"We try to stay away from any particular ideology because we think that the best way to run a symposium is to bring as many different people as possible and see what happens," said Shultis.

German composer Stephanie Schweiger, who works primarily in Berlin and Paris, sees the event as a good learning environment for herself as well as her audience.

"It's a good chance to think about my music, to think how I would present my musical ideas and musical concerns for future compositions," she said. "It is interesting to work on performances of my music."

Schweiger will pre-premiere her newest piece, "Verblich," at her lecture Monday morning. The piece's title translates to the verb "to pale," but can also refer to memories that have faded. It will have its actual premiere in Paris in June.

The composers come on a volunteer basis, often funded by their own institutions. Others get funding from international or national programs, while some come with the aid of the John Donald Robb Musical Trust. The trust was established in 1989 to support the "study, performance, dissemination and promotion of John D. Robb's music and musical legacy." This year's event will pay special tribute to Scott Wilkinson, a UNM professor emeritus. A composition scholarship was set up in 2001 in Wilkinson's name.

The John Donald Robb Composer's Symposium will be held on, March 25-27 at the College of Fine Arts. A concert will be offered each night at 7:30 p.m. at Keller Hall featuring the visiting composers' work.

Performers will include UNM faculty, as well as UNM's concert choir and chamber singers.

"If you really want to know about music from living composers who are writing right now and come from this many perspectives, then the symposium is a good place to do it," said Shultis.

The event is open to the public and free of charge.