New 'Star Wars' movie brings out veiled subculture

A strange phenomenon is rapidly taking over the world. In 1999, it was estimated to have brought in more than $12 billion - exceeding the gross national product of Cambodia, El Salvador and Jamaica combined. For years, fans have dressed up as space aliens waving glowing swords, and have devoted weeks to stand in line for it. This week, it even graces the cover of Time magazine.

The country is being swept by a new wave of the same epidemic it faced 30 years ago - and then again in 1999. "Star Wars" mania is back.

The long-awaited, media-hyped second chapter of the "Star Wars" saga, "Attack of the Clones," opens in theaters May 16. This news has been met with myriad of fan-oriented Web sites, merchandise and the usual hard-core fans already camped outside of theaters in cities such as Los Angeles and New York.

But what fuels this obsession with a movie that, when stripped down to the basics, is no more than a coming-of-age story with some plastic swords and puppets thrown in to appeal to teenage boys?

Two documentaries, "Starwoids" and "A Galaxy Far Far Away," showing atthe Southwest Film Center, courageously embark on a quest to answer that question. The films are similar; the directors go straight to the most obsessed, most fanatic, most serious "Star Wars" fans alive. They go to the toy-filled houses of avid collectors, the writers and producers of a "Star Wars" musical, the dressed-up, light saber-toting visitors of "Star Wars" conventions and even to the tents of the fans waiting six weeks outside of theaters in Los Angeles to be the first to see "The Phantom Menace." But where one succeeds in capturing a small glimpse into the fickle world of American pop culture, the other fails miserably and shows us only the pimple-faced, arrogant fans who give science fiction a bad rep.

"A Galaxy Far Far Away" is directed by Tariq Jalil and features cameos by stars such as Joe Pesci, Andy Garcia, Meat Loaf and Roger Corman. It has footage from Chicago, Los Angeles, Denver and New York, among other cities. It includes interviews from dozens of fans, some unrecognizable under their heavy Queen Amidala or Darth Mal makeup.

But what truly captures the audience in this amateur documentary is its surprisingly clear insight into the "Star Wars" subculture.

Jalil's narration is cleverly-written to be neutral at all points, never cynical or judgmental but simply questioning the social obsession with the films. The documentary does not rely on a script to make a point. Yet, the film does have a slightly dark edge to it. Many times, the interviewees' words and actions are allowed to speak for themselves. Stories of alcoholic parents, troubled childhoods and loneliness arise, and often the lasting impression left to us is one of an overwhelming need to belong and to substitute "Star Wars" for reality, rather than an appreciation for the films themselves.

"Starwoids," the less informative of the two documentaries, takes a slightly different approach while trying to achieve the same thing. It follows the rivalry of two groups camping out for six weeks in front of theaters in Los Angeles to see "The Phantom Menace."

David Alter is the 17-year-old leader of the group camped in front of the Westwood Theater. Through the course of the documentary, one thing becomes apparent; Alter, who graduated early from high school solely for the purpose of being the first in line, is the epitome of the arrogant, self-important fan.

His rivals are the members of Web site Countingdown.com in front of the famous Mann's Chinese theater, led by Aussie Lincoln Hasking. The Countingdown group grows into a huge media affair, complete with charity involvement, extensive coverage from local and national news, and even a Web TV station to broadcast their obsession to every corner of the world.

As the lines grow, rivalry between the two goes from friendly to ugly, and the hierarchy within the separate lines becomes corrupt and unmanageable. It's one long, real-life soap opera set on the sidewalks of Los Angeles.

Despite the complete failure of the film to evoke any emotion other than a vague disgust for humanity, some praise should be prasied for opting not to take sides.

Both documentaries are worth watching, if for nothing else than for a closer look at the "Star Wars" rage sweeping the country yet again. This is a subculture so big that it is worthy of attention.

And as one glance at my own Luke Skywalker action figure indicates, the documentaries may well strike a chord with people like me who, despite our cynicism, take a share in the blame for the cultural obsession with "Star Wars."

"A Galaxy Far Far Away" and "Starwoids" are showing this weekend at the Southwest Film Center. Call 277-5608 for more information