Reality TV invasion not over

MTV rides success of Ozzy Osbourne home-life show

A reality show built around bat-biting heavy metal vocalist Ozzy Osbourne has proven a big success for MTV. Now the network is hoping it can hit reality-series gold again this spring.

The music channel has ordered six new reality-themed shows -- some of which will air later this month, others later in the season. The new pickups come after the success of "The Osbournes," which follows the home life of Osbourne and his family. The series airs Tuesdays at 10:30 p.m.

More than 4 million viewers tuned in to "The Osbournes" last week, and ratings have improved by 75 percent since its launch on March 5, according to Nielsen Media Research data released by MTV.

In fact, MTV may extend the show's run to 13 episodes, up from the 10 editions that they'd originally scheduled to air through mid-May, a network spokesperson said Monday.

MTV programming president Brian Graden attributed the appeal of "The Osbournes" to the interaction among Ozzy, his wife and manager Sharon Osbourne, and two of the couple's children, Jack and Kelly.

The popularity of "The Osbournes" has MTV executives hopeful that a fleet of new series, ranging from dating to game shows, will also draw viewers.

On deck for MTV is "Taildaters," a relationship-themed game show in which couples invite two friends to tag along and keep score of their dating successes and missteps. The show will be introduced in a sneak-peek Saturday at 8:30 p.m. before settling into a weekday afternoon slot this summer.

Fleiss said that ABC programmers may launch a female-friendly version of the series, tentatively titled "The Bachelorette," if "Bachelor's" success continues.

Also on tap at MTV is "Virgin Chronicles," a series produced by actor John Stamos, who also starred in "Thieves," in which celebrities and musicians will talk about their first kiss, their first date or job. The guest on Stamos' debut episode, set for April 20 at 8:30 p.m., will be his wife, model Rebecca Romijn-Stamos.

MTV is planning other reality shows for a May launch, including "Movie House," a movie review series, and a June start for the contest-driven "I Bet You Will" and "Sorority Life," which documents life inside college sororities and the competition to belong to one.

MTV is also developing a spin-off of its reality series "Becoming" into "Becoming Presents Wannabes," in which players get a chance to act as their favorite pop star.

Knight-Ridder Tribune