Regents urge undergraduates to head to polls

After approving an ASUNM constitutional amendment Tuesday that would raise undergraduate student fees from $14 to $20, the Board of Regents were eager point out that their vote was contingent on student response.

Undergraduates head to the polls today to decide the fate of the amendment, which must receive two-thirds approval from those who vote to be implemented.

Associated Students of UNM senators lobbied for regents' support, explaining that fees had not been raised since the 1970s and New Mexico State University students pay $46 in fees. They added that the increase would double ASUNM's budget and allow it, along with student organizations, to provide more services for students.

Today's ballot will include the amendment, 17 Senate candidates, two presidential candidates, two vice presidential candidates and one Student Union Building food survey.

Students with Lobo identification cards can vote from 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. in the Dane Smith Hall lobby, the west entrance of Mitchell Hall, the Student Residence Center Commons Area, the Centennial Library glass entrance, the College of Nursing and Pharmacy, the south campus training room and the Anderson Schools of Management computer pod.

From 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., students also can vote in the Johnson Center's lobby and Zimmerman Library's lobby.

Staff Report