UNM Sigma Chi house condemned

Fraternity brothers forced to move out right before finals

Sigma Chi members were given less than 24 hous to move out of their house Tuesday after the City of Albuquerque condemned the property due to numerous safety violations reviewed by the Sigma Chi Alumni Association.

The eviction notice ordered residents to move out of the house by 4 p.m. Tuesday. City officials posted a bright yellow 'Do Not Enter' sign after the Sigma Chi Alumni Association toured and then condemned the property due to safety violations such as faulty wiring and asbestos.

Fraternity members began moving out late Monday night and members spent Tuesday morning loading their vehicles with boxes and clothes.

The national Sigma Chi office revoked the UNM chapter's charter April 20 after reviewing violations it received from the Dean of Students Office. The national office cited alcohol consumption violations, catcalls and extensive damage to an Angel Fire, N.M., hotel during a recent event as inappropriate behavior prompting the decision.

The violations came shortly after the fraternity was placed on probation stemming from a December 2000 incident when a group member taped a swastika to the roof of a black female student's illegally parked car.

Clarence Pegues, a UNM student and Sigma Chi member, said a city official came to the house Monday night, informed them of the violations the Sigma Chi Alumni Association found and informed the members that they needed to immediately begin moving out.

"I'm moving all of my stuff to my mom's house," Pegues said. "It's ridiculous that all of this happened right before finals."

He said most of the fraternity members were moving their belongings into storage for the remainder of the semester.

Dean of Students Randy Boeglin said the University is providing dorm rooms to the Sigma Chi members who needed a place to stay.

"We have received about 12 requests from fraternity members for a room to stay in while they finish up the semester," Boeglin said. "We are trying to make this the least complicated as possible."

Eric Smith, a former ASUNM senator and Sigma Chi member, loaded his truck with dresser drawers and stereo equipment Tuesday. He said he was disappointed with the negative media coverage the fraternity has been receiving.

"This is bad for all of our images and names and the bad thing is that we still have to go to school here," Smith said. "We need to focus on finals and the last week of school and how can we when we have to deal with this."